• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why are M helmets noncompliant for track schools?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

i bought a brand new snell 2000 rated helmet that is am M helmet ( motorcycle). I dont understand why they are not compiant for some schools( in cars). I would think a M helmet would need to be tougher than a helmet that is on the head of a pilot strapped into an encased arewa? But what do i know ( rhetorical ?... replies unnecessary, lol)

Guest Anonymous

I bought it a year ago in a motorcycle shop!

I have made my mind, I am going to approach this driving school like I do golf: I"ll never going to be any good at it anyway so I am going to enjoy the day, people, have a good time and mostly a good laugh, can't take being a weekend warrior too seriously!

Michael

Guest Anonymous

ASK before you buy one. I would just bite the bullet and spring for a Snell SA rated helmet, as some driver's school groups are starting to require them. You *might* be OK with a Snell M rated helmet, but you might find yourself helmet shopping again in a year or 2.....

Bret.

p.s.- check out the snell memorial site for more details. Pretty comprehensive info on all Snell certifications, for Motorcycle, Auto racing, bicycle helmets, snowmobile helmets and others.

p.p.s.- you can do what ever you want as far as helmet purchase, and everyone will have an opinion. I chose a Snell SA rated Bell helmet, not the most expensive available- certainly not the cheapest, but I think it's a good one, and I will not have to worry about buying a new helmet for about 5 years.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

but peter emailed me M o.k. with BMWCCAGGC school. so i good for this year. will get real nice brain bucket next year.

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

you will go broke and mad trying to find time and money for more seat time: most fun with your pantsw on you can have( except for racing, i guess). cantwait for us to get our 02s out there. Bill is also gonna take us around-0 another 02 pilot expert driver/racer.

Guest Anonymous

Check the descriptions from the Snell Foundation re helmet certification.

SA requires passing the multiple-impact tests, as you can hit your head on a roll cage more than once in a bad crash.

Guest Anonymous

Pretty funny(or sad), we had some people show up one year with some real trick, flip front BMW motorcycle helmets. Sorry, you can't use those. They only had a DOT sticker, no Snell stickers.

I would recommend a full face helmet. Affords the extra protection from smacking the steering wheel. An added benefit is nobody can see you cuss as you screw up on the autocross course.