Turn Indicator Problem - What Is The Grey Wire From Turn/wiper Switch To Ignition Switch?

ckeen74

Hi all,

After pulling apart the lower half of my dash to fix the heater, I put everything back and had two issues - the horn no longer worked, and the turn indicator idiot light on the dash only blinked once. Fixed the horn problem by seating the ring in the correct position. I also found a grey wire from the bundle of wires that goes to the indicator/wiper switch, and the end near the ignition switch seemed to be disconnected. I hooked it up to the only open blade connector on the ignition switch, but nothing seems to have changed. Two questions;

1) What's the grey wire for? The wiring diagram says it's supposed to run from the indicator/wiper switch to the ignition switch, and shows it connecting near position 1 on the little image of the ignition switch.

2) What should I check first if my indicator idiot light only blinks once? It blinks repeatedly when using the hazard lights.

Thanks,

Chris

2) What should I check first if my indicator idiot light only blinks once? It blinks repeatedly when using the hazard lights.  

Check the search window first ;)

( I am not being a wise guy.  If I knew the answer, I would gladly share it.  I did have trouble with mine, when I first got my car and cleaning the bulb sockets helped.  Keep in mind that they are grounded through the screws that hold the blinker assemblies to the body and will not work (while troubleshooting) unless they are grounded).

Search Results

Your search for the term indicator light only blinks once returned 10 results

this is one of the search results... from 2003, entitled 

Dash Turn Signal Light Blinks Once

You could also add "gray (or grey) wire" to the search window.  Be sure to search either "forums" or "google".

Good point, I normally search first but I think a late night of working on the car made me forget! I don't think any of the bulbs have failed, but I'll double check grounds and bulb sockets. Perhaps this is a side effect of converting to rear LEDs a few months back, but I'll check the front indicators first....

As for the gray wire, a fair amount of digging suggests it's for single-side parking lights: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/56733-strange-electrical-issue/ Not surprising since this is a German-delivery car and that's required in cars over there. Either way, it doesn't seem to impact the function of anything else, so I'll leave it as-is.

Archived