Best Source For A Lightened Flywheel???

burndog

You can always find a nice used flywheel yourself, Have your local machine shop take it down to about 12.5 to 15 LBS depending on your motor work and what you want to do. I personally am running a 215mm at 12 lbs But I also have 4 or 5 different ones from the old track car to choose from, and extensive motor work. CALL: Ireland Engineering! They have a few

I had a local machine shop lighten my 228mm flywheel--they removed half-moon-shaped bites from around the edge, between the bolts that fasten the pressure plate to the flylwheel.  You can remove less metal from the edge of the flywheel and achieve the same effect as removing more from the center due to centrifugal forces.

cheers

mike

JB Racing for 8lb aluminum flywheels

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that my '73 tii has a JB lightweight flywheel installed when I recently tore down my engine.

I had no indication that the engine had that light of a flywheel; the car is extremely easy to drive, and one could literally idle it off the line without stalling. That goes to show how heavy the stock M10 reciprocating assembly is. My shop often installs LWFWs in Porsche 911s and it makes a big difference in drivability when going below 10# (lots of revs/slippage required to get the car moving).

Having no idea that a LWFW was present, I zipped off the clutch cover bolts with my 3/8" drive impact wrench as I planned on replacing the clutch (which is totally OK with a stock steel flywheel as long as the clutch pressure plate is being replaced). Only then did I see that most of the JB-installed helicoils had partially backed out of the soft aluminum flywheel! 

Patience and a hand ratchet would have saved me from this, but I hate helicoils anyway, so I will remove them all and replace them with proper Time-Serts, which are a more expensive but are vastly superior to helicoils as a threaded insert.

The JB flywheel does have a replaceable steel friction surface, which is a nice feature.

Archived