Not Firing On All 4

turboninja22

hello 

pectronix

fire something coil

new cap

new rotor

weber 38.38 carb

having an issue with my car running rough.

i have been attacking my carburator trying to adjust it right.

this has been going on like 4 months now but if my car is set at idle 1500 it runs ok with the occational misfire but runs hot and that is a crazy high idle.

when i turn the idle down it runs like it wants to die.

so i moved my focus to the ignition system.

i found that cyl # 2 isnt getting spark unless it is at a higher rpm but even then it sparks like really weak.

and lately when i drive it and get it in 2 or 3rd gear it feels like it chugs and wants to die before it finally gets going.

my thoughts are that at high idle it runs ok because it is sending more energy. i unplugged the spark plug wire at the block not really a spark and i unplugged it at the cap and still no spark so it tells me that it has to be in the cap or dizzy. 

anyone else have a clue what i can do?

i unplugged the spark plug wire at the block not really a spark and i unplugged it at the cap and still no spark so it tells me that it has to be in the cap or dizzy.    anyone else have a clue what i can do?  

To gather more information, and rule out the possibilities of bad plug or wire, you can try swapping wires and plugs around to see how that affects the situation.

yea i did that i even swapped one of my old but still working wires in... still nothing....

BUT...

I took my new cap off to see if my petronix system is fried, (i read that if you leave your ignition on for to long with out the car running it fries the petronix system) i didnt see anything wrong with the petronix took it all apart and took it out.. and wham! there was the freaking carbon point from the old cap that i had.. i thought it got worn down but i was wrong it broke off and got caught under the petronix system... took that out and put the petronix system back in and everything back together again.

fired it up and it is firing on all four.

so i bet that little thing was either shorting that cyl out or something or my petronix just needed some love.

we will see i will test drive it a little longer to see if the problem comes back.. the other thing that has me worried is why did that carbon tip on the cap break off in the first place? could be as simple as hitting a bump and the rotor broke it off or something.... now i gotta keep an eye on it.

not solved till time and further driving can happen.

why did that carbon tip on the cap break off in the first place?

This has happened to me once before. The tension clips that hold down the cap were not as tight as they could have been. Either heat or age, or both allowed them to loosen up. The cap was able to move just enough to be hit by the rotor. In my situation, it was the rotor that took the beating and it also carved some serious grooves on each point in the cap. None of the carbon tips fell off, though. To fix this, I was able to bend a more aggressive curvature in the clips and the cap hasn't come loose since. 

Other things to check are the cap and rotor part numbers—make sure you have the right one for the distributor. 

There are a lot of variations of distributors for our cars and there very well may be different caps and rotors as well.

PO could have switched at some point making your "year/model" unreliable criteria.
Someone here will either correct me if I am wrong, or tell you that there is a list somewhere posted before. 

I know I have ordered a cap that wouldn't fit my distributor correctly before.

Either way, glad you were able to trace it to something less serious. 

Archived