Which 5-Speed Swap?

scoopyg

I want to swap a 5-speed into my 75 2002.   A guy locally has one from an '84  e-30 318.  He wants $200 negotiable.

Is this a true 5-gear transmission, or is it 4 with O/D?  Is there a better unit than this one that I should use?  Is the price about right?

Thanks for any advice,  Rich in Columbus.

Rich, if you want a 5-speed like that one from E30, come to athens and get it for free from me.  I suspect its not what you want though.  It'll bolt up the M10, sure, but there's no way of attaching speedometer easily, and it'll difficult to source/fab parts to properly mount it.

Most folks use 5-speeds from E21s  (but not the one from the 1983, its got the speedo drive, but similarly shaped to the E30 tranny).  I decided to go the <1982 E21 route myself, and just had to ship one in from out west, and still have the E30 one sitting around taking up space.  I think its at my friend Charlie's house right now, as I gave it to him and he opted not to do that much fab work either, hah.

They're not plentiful in these parts.  If you can find one in a junkyard here, awesome.

I was thinking Jason Gipson/eurotrash might have a spare, but forget which style it is.  I didn't go with it for some reason I can't remember.

Out west, Dave Varco usually has them in stock and can ship them: http://www.2002parts.com/bmw/5-speed-trans.html

Give him an e-mail.  I'm sure you could get one from the forum as well, but sellers may be less relabile than Dave. 

I'm also not sure what you mean by 'true' 5-speed.  The 5-speed upgrade that most people do to 02s is just one with a 5th OD gear.  All the other gears are pretty much the same.  It's not really an acceleration/performance upgrade, just a comfort one.

It's possible to use a 'close-ratio' 5-speed as well, which doesn't have an overdrive gear, and instead has different ratios on the lower gears that helps more with road racing.  You will have to speed some serious money and do a lot of searching if you want a close-ratio 5 speed. 

It's personal preference, but I would never install a 5 speed in an '02

Driving with 4 speed gives you best 1st, 2nd, 3rd there is.

5 speed imo cannot compare, yes, 5th is great to have,

but not at the expense of losing (altering) your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd !!!

I believe the '75 has a different differential, maybe get 72-73 final drive

and be much happier.

Thanks for the input.   My mechanic told me today that the 5-speed swap would entail some driveshaft fabrication, so in my quest to own nice classic cars at the lowest possible price, I've decided to just have the original 4-speed rebuilt.  I don't really need top-end anyhow.

Thanks again to all who have lent their good advice to all my questions on this forum.   Rich in Ohio

Pretty close. According to Mike Macartney,

G242                           G245/4

from Sept 1970

1st:          3.764                          3.68

2nd:         2.02                            2.00

3rd:          1.32                            1.33

4th:          1.00                            1.00

5th:          ------                            0.81

The G232 which was up to Aug 1970 had a 3.833 first gear.

Archived