jdeitch

Honor Code - Parts For Sale

13 posts / 866 viewsLast Reply

What has changed with the FAQ 'FOR SALE' section? It was my assumption there was a 'understood' honor code that existed. The seller was obligated to sell the item to the first person to respond. If that person backed down the second person was then eligible to buy. And so on and so forth.

Twice recently I have been the first responder and the item was sold (I assume) to someone else.

I've seen people who have been down on the list of buyers offer higher dollar amounts to buy an item as if it was an auction.

I'm very discouraged by the breech in this honor code.

What are your thoughts?

ADMIN: Please leave this here for exposure and do not move it to someplace where it will not be seen.

I'm with you on this subject, a few months ago a newer member posted an item I wanted, it had been up for 30 minutes, the next day some other noob claimed he would take it because he felt he lived closer, not even taking 2nd on line. So I finally get email back from OP, stating he sold it. WTF

You know what else .... Several times lately I have responded to a WTB with pics, part numbers, etc and basically a cost of mailing price. Some of the WTBs were marked "urgent" or "desperate" yet the part seeker never replies. Should at least post something like "thanks all, part found locally" or such. Just don't leave generous offers that took time to compose hanging with no response.

I'm also with you on this subject. Earlier this week I was first in line to buy something, and the seller said he'd call me later that night once it was packaged up and he had a shipping quote (I already said I'd buy it). After not receiving the expected call, I gave him a call but he didn't answer. He emailed me later that night saying it was sold to someone local who "called just before" I called… You mean, the local guy called, expressing interest in the item you already agreed to sell to me? While I understand that shipping can be a minor inconvenience, it's inconsiderate to sell something out from under someone and gives your word no value. 

i can't count on both hands how many times that's happened to me...1st in line, then find out later it was sold to a friend or someone cuter or better looking...

we should treat those sellers just like we do the ponzi scheming, infomercial sellers...start a thread and publicly out the snakes...at the very least, leave bad feedback in the feedback thread

in most cases it's newer guys that don't have any appreciation for our long held honor system of 1st come, 1st served or the guys that come come around just to sell parts and have no interest in the forum

the flip side is the sleazy snake that goes out of line & buys the part you are 1st in line to buy...they have no respect

I have been here for awhile now and I have learned the rules over time. However, are they written anywhere? Should they be? Should it be posted as a sticky in the for sale section?

If we want people to follow our honor code, we really should broadcast it. I know it is common sense and courtesy, but all that seems to be dead.

I have been here for awhile now and I have learned the rules over time. However, are they written anywhere? Should they be? Should it be posted as a sticky in the for sale section?

If we want people to follow our honor code, we really should broadcast it. I know it is common sense and courtesy, but all that seems to be dead.

that would be great except....most people don't read the small print....unless it's made into a big deal like it was with Denver tii, the drive by sellers and those looking to make a fast buck will persist

it's too bad that we have to go overboard with negative reactions at times but it usually works...until the next rash appears

I am right there with you! Several months ago, a guy was selling a Nardi wheel for a great price and listed it late at night. I happened to be up and responded maybe 30 seconds later that I wanted it and just needed to know where to Paypal the money. No reply for a day and a half. Then he emails me after I asked a few times, to tell me it's sold. I was PISSED. Some people suck. Others on here are great.

Until recently, I had not noticed this "for sale comments" section.  I only looked at the other "for sale" forum, where you cannot leave visible replies.  I would simply send a PM to the seller expressing interest, oblivious to any interactions happening over here.  I could imagine a situation where the first to reply did so 'invisibly' and so someone posting 'visible' interest here would assume to be first and it could get confusing.  

I am  just recognizing that there are multiple ways to respond to the ads, not discounting discouraging situations discussed above.  

I recently responded to a Craigslist ad for a $25 item.  They were going to email in the morning to arrange pick up.  Instead, they emailed that they changed their mind and were going to re-list the item for $100.  It felt like they broke some sort of "honor code."

I think a sticky "Honor Code" might be a helpful feature.  Not everyone will read it, but some may find it helpful.  This topic came up a few days ago as "FAQ Etiquette".  At that time I thought that would make a good topic in itself.

Edited by '76Mintgrun'02

i can't count on both hands how many times that's happened to me...1st in line, then find out later it was sold to a friend or someone cuter or better looking...

we should treat those sellers just like we do the ponzi scheming, infomercial sellers...start a thread and publicly out the snakes...at the very least, leave bad feedback in the feedback thread

in most cases it's newer guys that don't have any appreciation for our long held honor system of 1st come, 1st served or the guys that come come around just to sell parts and have no interest in the forum

the flip side is the sleazy snake that goes out of line & buys the part you are 1st in line to buy...they have no respect

AGREED!

I look at how many post the seller has, pics AND price. Don't do obo or make me an offer.  You want an offer how about a quarter!

Edited by Koblenz