Interesting Alternator problem last night

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

02logo.jpg

URL: http://www.evogroup.com/t-shirts

While driving home last night, my headlights looked dim.

When I got home and turned the ignition off, the charging telltale did not light up, just the oil pressure. So it seemed like I had no alternator and the light did not warn me that it was not working.

In the dark with no test equipment, I poked around.

Turned out the screws securing the voltage regulator had backed off a bit.

Seems as though they ground the regualtor to the chassis.

I tightened them and the warning light came on, started the car, it went out and nice bright headlights again!

So I guess that's another area that should be cleaned and checked for corrosion and bad contact.

HTH,

Tony

Guest Anonymous

Your symptoms happened to my car many years back. That's one of the things that prompted me to go to an internally regulated alternator (that and higher amperage...)

18 years later, the 320i alternator is working out fine.

Kevin

Guest Anonymous

If we are to believe the wiring diagram, the regulator gets its ground from the brown wire to the alternator. Can someone who has disassembled a regulator confirm that there is an internal connection to the case? Perhaps your observations resulted from some other factor, such as inadvertent jiggling of a loose connection.

Guest Anonymous

...I noted that there is a wire that grounds through a connection to one of the mounting screws for the regulator. It comes from the harness that goes into the regulator. Does yours have this wire?

-Dave

Colorado '71

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events