I never seem to properly look at the guibo. Until it fails. Is this about to? Or is it just the "skin"?

I did have some alignment issues before, stressing the guibo. On the other hand I've been to a track day, and had some fun on public roads, since then..

A very small screw driver could be inserted about 2mm in the "cracks", maybe less.

post-40090-0-07353000-1406921980_thumb.j

Any unusual vibration?  Or rattling noises? How long were you having the alignment issues?  Even when the rubber looks good it is not necessarily indicative of a 'good condition' guibo.  Ive seen new ones fail much earlier than expected but it depends on how hard the car is driven.

Cracks are never good but there are times when superficial cracks or tearing of the skin are ok.

The allen head bolts were the only I found with the right strength and length the day of last install. The factory heads were no good anymore. 

I kind of argued to myself the direction of the bolts does not matter, as long as I torque flange side. Bolt or nut.

Hm.. Going for a 180 mile drive today. Maybe I'll take the Peugeot. Replace guibo is nothing I want to do at the side of the road.

It won't fail in 300kms, unless the alignment issue's unresolved.

It might never fail, if the alignment's perfect.

I'd order a replacement now, and do it as soon as there's something else under

there you want to work on.

The open question, tho, is IF it's properly aligned now...  if you're sure it is,

it really will go quite a bit longer.

I'd still replace it.

t

Well, Toby - I'm chicken. I'll drive it around here, but not more than a taxi trip away.

Looking back at my history with Murphy it will surely fail, and fail big, as long from home as possible. And it will not care about logic like present good alignment and a not-that-bad state. 

Instead I took the 104. And the speedometer cable broke.

I've got two guibos laying around and will replace it. Any day now.

I see we share a maintenance philosophy....

heh

I have a new one for the E36.  Bought it 4 years back, now.

Soon as I get under there for something, I'll swap it.

Any day now...

t

Well, I'll have to deal with the DD first, the beloved little frenchy. I started removing the broke speedometer cable, only to find the left front wheel well was filled with CV-grease. I need a boot kit as well. Darn. Might as well install some new bushings up front while I'm there..

• 4 weeks later...

A small update - now I've got some minor vibrations on take off. And I've got a track license course coming up, but I guess I'll just take the Peugeot. H€%, it's just showing one knows what brake points are and showing a somewhat understanding for apex..=) 

Anyhow, my other vibrations, that seemed to be unbalance but was controlled by a tire shop, might have gotten worse as well. Guibos don't cause steering wheel shake, do they?

Also, I've got vibrations on acceleration when it's cold. Until the engine's got warmed up.

Nope.  Tires, brakes, loose bearings, loose steering joints do that...

t

What I believe. The rotors ARE warped, I figured I'd replace them once I get my thumb out to build the brake cooling, but that hasn't happened. If rotors are seriously warped, could they cause unbalanced-like vibrations?

Toyo tires and me don't seem to play well together anymore. So I vote tires.

You might swap wheels/tires front to back, if possible, and see what happens.

Good luck,

Will do that. A total different set of wheels.