• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for a long hot road trip

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay Steve, you win. Not only do you have the best message title, you also have some pretty darn good ideas in there. I think I'm going to use the towel, cooler, hat, water, and gatorade suggestions to keep me cool. I wish I could go up 101 and pass through my college town of San Luis Obispo but I'm planning on staying the Saturday night in Fresno with my sister.

Steve, send me an email with your mailing address and I'll drop you a postcard from somewhere crazy.

Dave.

Guest Anonymous

Use the bladders from 5 liter boxed wine. Empty they take no space in your trunk, have a spout that pops off and are easily refilled. And it's fun draining them of their original contents.

And before you depart Tucson, make sure the radiator is full and there's no evidence of coolant leakage/dribbles in the usual spots (under water pump, around hose clamps, vicinity of heater control valve) and look for hoses that have cracks and/or bulge near the clamps. Replace any suspicious ones BEFORE you leave...

Have a safe trip

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I live 65 mi. south of Tucson and when my son was born in 1980 my wife and I had to drive to Tucson daily @ 5 to 6 pm to see him (born premature, so spent the 1st 5 wks. in the hospital). At that time I was driving a Ruby Red 356A Porsche w/ black leather interior and no A/C. This is the month of June. Crossing the desert in temps of 105 to 112. We drove in shorts, tee-shirts, and draped water soaked bath towels over our laps and legs. With 10%, or less, desert humidity the evaporative cooling worked marginally well. At least, we lived to tell the tale. Good luck. You can reach me at 520/287-5378 if you need help.