Carl Johan

Questions About Urethane Bushings (Installation, Production)

16 posts / 1116 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Hello! I've recently bought some urethane bushings. I'm looking at how to get them installed on my car, and have a couple of questions.

When I removed the stock rubber from the differential hanger mount, a little metal "spacer" (I don't know the correct word) was left in the hole. See the picture below. Should I fit the urethane bushing with the metal still there, or should I remove it before pressing it in?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7l0m550qefa85bq/Photo%2030-06-14%2019.39.53.jpg

Furthermore, I might be interested in casting some mounts/bushings of my own, particularily the rear subframe mounts. Would you guys recommend casting these in a mold, and then pressing them in, or would simply pouring the resin directly into the rear subframe mount hold just fine?

PS: If anyone has any good ideas on how to easily install these, I'd be happy to listen!

Edited by Carl Johan

Use a hack saw and cut out the metal ring. Then you will need to press in the urethane bushing.

This was my thinking too, I just wanted to be completely sure before doing any irreversible changes :D Thank you!

I guess this just leaves the question about whether urethane adheres well enough to metal, to justify casting the bushing directly into the rear subframe mount.

(edited)

I guess this just leaves the question about whether urethane adheres well enough to metal, to justify casting the bushing directly into the rear subframe mount.

Have you even worked with urethane before?  If you're looking at making a part for sale, I'd assume this would be something you'd have enough experience with to decide yourself.

Edited by AceAndrew

Have you even worked with urethane before? If you're looking at making a part for sale, I'd assume this would be something you'd have enough experience with to decide yourself.

I'm only making this for my own car, so far atleast :D

I found the cheapest and easiest way was to cut UHMW on a lathe.

But I have a lathe...

t

(edited)

I found the cheapest and easiest way was to cut UHMW on a lathe.

But I have a lathe...

t

Hey TobyB,

Is UHMW poly the same as urethane?   It's self lubricating like Delrin isn't it?

Edited by algon

Using a lathe wouldn't be a bad idea, except for the minor issue that I don't have one  :mellow:

Using a lathe wouldn't be a bad idea, except for the minor issue that I don't have one :mellow:

Do you have the tools to make close dimensional tolerance moulds / dies to cast or form the urethane without machining stock?

I've read that freezing some of these softer plastics makes them somewhat more machinable.....just an idea.

Do you have the tools to make close dimensional tolerance moulds / dies to cast or form the urethane without machining stock?

I believe I can make the molds direcly on a CNC mill, which I happen to have access to :)

OK, wasn't being snarky but I assumed that since you didn't have access to a relatively common machine tool like a lathe then I imagined you making moulds out of...

Why can't you machine the urethane directly in the mill? You may have to reposition the piece a few times and swap tools but it might be a bit easier than creating moulds and then casting.

OK, wasn't being snarky but I assumed that since you didn't have access to a relatively common machine tool like a lathe then I imagined you making moulds out of...

Why can't you machine the urethane directly in the mill? You may have to reposition the piece a few times and swap tools but it might be a bit easier than creating moulds and then casting.

That'd probably be possible yes, but it seems like a bit of a waste to me, Especially as I have alredy bought some polyurethane resin. Besides, wouldn't be bad to have the mold, maybe if someone else was interested in it I could cast some for them or whatever :)

...and UHMW is a hard nylon- it's slightly softer than steel in a bushing, but not a lot.

And yes, it's self- lubricating.  I like it for the rear subframe mounts because it's cheap 

and easy to press in and out.

Acetal (Delrin) works better for bushings that move, like the trailing arms.

t