Andrew Havens

How To Diy Restore Steel Wheels And Hubcaps?

35 posts / 5513 viewsLast Reply

I’ve not seen that, but it sounds like you’re volunteering to produce a sample for our approval...  I’d suppose it makes the rim look a bit more “deep dish”, which 99.9% of ‘02 owners like!

We’re just going to hang out while you prepare the sample.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

OK Steve - “sample” challenge accepted .

I did this in about 15 minutes before I lost the light here, so masking off was a bit rubbish and thus the paint line as well.

But I think it demonstrates the difference between the two paint effects with the hubcap in place.

I know that this comparison isn’t a huge thing, but wheels are pretty important to a lot of ‘02 enthusiasts so this adds to the discussion I guess.

fe7cde1751448292b3cda87bf94e8433.jpg

d793d8f5a0cb2992d45244584632cb3d.jpg

• Like 2

(edited)
On 8/15/2019 at 7:58 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

... with four wheel barrows in the fleet, there's more of that fun to be had.  :) 

It must be a large operation - and/or family - to require a fleet of four wheel barrows....

Edited by kbmb02
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

(edited)
13 hours ago, zambo said:

OK Steve - “sample” challenge accepted emoji16.png.

I did this in about 15 minutes before I lost the light here, so masking off was a bit rubbish and thus the paint line as well.

But I think it demonstrates the difference between the two paint effects with the hubcap in place.

I know that this comparison isn’t a huge thing, but wheels are pretty important to a lot of ‘02 enthusiasts so this adds to the discussion I guess.

fe7cde1751448292b3cda87bf94e8433.jpg

d793d8f5a0cb2992d45244584632cb3d.jpg

I agree. It both “disappears” the distracting seam between the rims’s center disk and barrel, and adds apparent depth. It’s analogous to the factory painting the hood hinge supports black so they wouldn’t be a distraction — which, in turn, added to the apparent depth of the blacked-out grilles!

Bravo!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I toyed with the idea of painting the areas of the steel wheels black when restoring the early tii steelies I acquired a while back. Mainly to eliminate the distracting seam described by Steve and letting the venting holes of the attached trim rings to the hub cap to stand out a little more. Had my wheels sandblasted and have so far primed and given several coats of Argent Silver wheel paint and will probably just stick with Argent Silver/Silver Argent/Argent Argent/Silver Silver lol. I also think several coats of satin clear coat will help it last longer

I have also been thinking about restoring my wheel covers, getting a leather sandbag/mallet, etc. since there is slim chance finding better ones. Noticed that on one of them, I'm missing one of the 3 mounting pieces that are riveted to the wheel cover to secure it to the wheel. NLA, of course? Don't even think these have a P/N? Find old unrepairable wheel cover, drill out rivets to scavenge the piece, rivet to mine?

11 hours ago, golf73 said:

...Find old unrepairable wheel cover, drill out rivets to scavenge the piece, rivet to mine?

Yes. And you will know an old un-repairable wheel cover when you see it. Hint: it’s usually free, or nearly free!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv