Any advice on getting my new '02 back to Washington state?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2432617711

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board as I just eBayed myself a Fjord Blue '76 this morning. Of course now the adventure is getting her back to Seattle from Tucson, AZ. I plan to fly one way and drive her back through California and Oregon.

The problem I have is how do I deal with the licensing of the car? The seller said that it is standard practice in AZ to remove the license plates at the time of sale. Does anyone from Washington state know what I am supposed to do about getting temporary plates for the drive up? The Washington Department of Licensing web page is of no use on this subject.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Dave,

Having just bought a car in Tucson myself, I can tell you it's not necessary for the seller to remove the plates at time of sale. From what I understand, the seller merely needs to deliver the plates to their local DMV within 30 days of the sale. I drove my '02 back from Tucson a few weeks ago, registered the car here in CA, and then simply mailed the plate back to the previous owner.

Other advice: Get out of AZ as soon as you can, and preferably at night. That state gets HOT! :)

Guest Anonymous

if you have the time, you might have better luck actually going to a DMV office and asking what to do to comply with law. Do you have any paperwork, or is final payment/title transfer going to take place in Arizona. If so, tell them, and they might help. Option 2, take a tag off another vehicle and put it on the car and hope you dont get stopped.( i did not write that), option 3 : cardboard tag in rear window: just dont draw attention to yourself, dont get stopped. As to why the seller is keeping the tags: he may have been burned like I was for "being a nice guy- i let a kid keep my florida tags on a vehicle i sold to him in ca. and he just kept driving on my tags, no contact, no return, until i had to drive up to his house a long ways away, and "repossess" my tags from his carport. asshole. I can understand why the guy is doing that if he was burned in a similar way. Sign-off to DMV, notwithstanding- it is a hassle to old owner if new owner is pulled over with the "lender" tags. Good luck: i would use option 1- it has best appearence.

Guest Anonymous

hey congrats!!

az cars are the best. mine was originally from there, but then it went to dallas, where i got mine from.

what myself and the PO planned to do was just drive it back on Texas plates because the car had a current inspection. i let my insurance know that i was going to texas to pick up a car.from the best of my recollection, the car (as long as you let them know about it, is a rider on your policy until you get it up to your state and all of the paperwork taken care of) i would make sure you have this all straight w/them before going down.

also AAA membership. the cheapest ~$35 bucks worth of insurance you'll ever have (especially on long trips w/an older car)

best of luck and enjoy your trip.

dave

Guest Anonymous

and find out what your options are. Current owner might feel better about letting you have tags for transport if they have certified documentation of coverage. Then again, probably not. I'd go to my insurance guy first. You know him and can talk to him. I hope.

Guest Anonymous

A couple years ago I bougth a car from europe and

drove it back from the east coast. The car didn't

have a US title.... all I had was the VIN and some

paperwork from the importer.

Went to the DMV and they let me pay for a

temporary 30 day permit to get it back here. No big

deal. You should have no problems. Just show

them the ebay ad, a bill of sale and pay the DMV

fees.

WH

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I have plenty of ideas now. I'll check with the Washington State DMV on Monday morning and see how they want me to take care of this. There were plenty of other options suggested below that I can fall back on if the official route doesn't work. Thanks again everyone.

Guest Anonymous

even need current registration. Usually there is a small fee associated with issuing it. Check with the Arizona DMV, they are the ones that have to give it to you.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

does issue temporary paper plates but I dont know if it will apply for your case since you are leaving the state and not applying for Ariz title. www.dot.state.az.us