• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Dashboards Are Tii Dashboards

mo02

For a bezel, you can use 2 angled gauge mounts mated together. These are available at most auto parts stores. They come in packs of 3 for about $14. 

Another nice touch is the VDO glare shield (VDO P/N 240-005).

For the VDO clock, you need to cut down the mounting bracket to make it fit behind the dash....easy!

John

All this dash discussion now has me wondering - what have I got on my dash? This is in a '72 tii with a one-piece dash that was fitted sometime after '72, but before it came to me in '97. It's a fairly soft rubbery material. The wires pass through what would have been the dash clock hole. I believe I've seen this mount on other '02s, but it's been quite a while since I've made it to any meetups. I think there's a version that will hold 3 gauges, as well. I do recollect that I fitted ABS plumbing parts around the VDO gauges to adapt them to the mount. I bought the gauges and put them into this existing mount. The gauges that came with the car fit into the mount, but they did not work. Nothing is holding the gauges into the mount except friction between the adapter piece and the mount. The mount just sits on the dash, wedged between the upper dash lip and the front of the dash "tray".

P8130012.thumb.JPG.9eca28c8a13c2aba6deeaefab08b36d8.JPG

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

15 hours ago, JerryC said:

All this dash discussion now has me wondering - what have I got on my dash? 

It could be the turbo pod for the clock & boost gauge.  There have been various pod units produced over the past 40 years.

BMW-2002-Turbo-1643_10.jpg

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

For those that have a need to know, BMW handed the '74-'76 shroud for the tii clock. So, if like me, you have a RHD car waiting for the clock, you need a RHD shroud for the clock. Not sure what it would look like if I use the LHD shroud in the RHD dash. The shroud-cover for the earlier clock was not handed. Go figure.

View from the top

DSCN2727crsm.thumb.JPG.6295107398d4274d6c47acea0ef1bd01.JPG

view from the side

DSCN2728crsm.thumb.JPG.b38721091752b8fc2f8461c5f71b9d79.JPG

It was nice day yesterday to work on the cars.....I digress.

DSCN2718sm.JPG.76eabfdb0b5d1096486c5aba14a86761.JPG

DSCN2719sm.JPG.fd0c13e33a55f93e3997ca2d130e349c.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

On 3/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, JohnP_02 said:

Vintage Autobahn is selling repops. They look decent, but I can't verify the quality. I think they are on this forum as well. May be a nice option. 

John

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292040906173 

IMG_1618.thumb.PNG.e43b5d3033a97da648d7a1c535af087a.PNG

+1

If you look in earnest, you'll find there are lots of the original clocks out there -- for sale.  That said, the original clocks have a failure rate of about....100%.  I got my ca. 1974 clock -- the one in my '76 -- fixed twice and then, rather than fix it a third time, swapped out to an electronic movement  Yes, I kept the original movement for some unlikely future!  So...my housing is an original item, as are the black bezels and the wiring, but the guts are modern.  How different is that from buying a brand spanking new clock from Vintage Autobahn?  In my mind, not much.  Stated differently, buy a clock from Vintage Autobahn -- they're making both styles of faces -- and install it, or find a vintage unit and be prepared to repair it.

Every car I've owned, including a '58 Mercedes 220S and a '67 1600-2, had a clock, except...my '70 '02.  When I purchased the '76, I planned, before I even purchased it, to add a clock.  The tii (or a ti) clock is truly a no-brainer.  And let's be honest: in the 1970's, the last thing on my mind was keeping my dashboard un-cut!  I love my non-original dash clock!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If it doesn't go "clunk tick tick tick..." it's not a true tii clock. ;):D

Mine has been running since '99. Before that, I don't know it's history. 

The Cali climate is good to them.

The faux tii Kienzle in the blue car also goes clunk tick tick tick... but at a different timbre.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 minutes ago, ray_ said:

If it doesn't go "clunk tick tick tick..." it's not a true tii clock. ;):D ....

I worked through that issue about 10 years ago, Ray.  The electronic movement keeps perfect time and seems to draw less power than the "antique" in my '73....

Some guys value fat tires.  Others just want an accurate working clock....?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

The electronic movement keeps perfect time and seems to draw less power than the "antique" in my '73....

I asked my friend the EE to measure the current draw on my klunk tick tick clock with the express purpose of selecting a fuse to replace the "fusable link".  The current draw measured 0.1 micro amps at 12V.

I've shipped my "clunk" clock to The Clock Works twice and twice it has stopped working within 2 weeks.  They think it's a ground issue inside the clock.  I think it's a problem with the movement.  Worn jewels, but they say there aren't any.

They are willing to try again at no charge.

Woe is me.  I really miss the clunk.

73 Inka Tii #2762958