• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Dashboards Are Tii Dashboards

mo02

Since we have the attention of "dash-minded" members, anyone have a crack free lower portion of the 2-pc dash that they don't want?  I've been hoarding a perfect 72 upper piece for a few years until I find the lower.  PM me please.

My 72 upper piece has the blanks for cutting holes for clock and sign.  It also DOES NOT have white text labels for switches around instrument cluster.  For that I bought stencils from a member.  All in good time.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

9 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Since we have the attention of "dash-minded" members, anyone have a crack free lower portion of the 2-pc dash that they don't want?  I've been hoarding a perfect 72 upper piece for a few years until I find the lower.  PM me please.

My 72 upper piece has the blanks for cutting holes for clock and sign.  It also DOES NOT have white text labels for switches around instrument cluster.  For that I bought stencils from a member.  All in good time.

My one piece Euro spec 02 dash that I picked up at an automotive flea market in Germany has no writing on it all so I'm wondering if the top part of your dash was Euro spec. DOT rules during that period mandated gear shift patterns and functions of the switch to be on the dash.  I guess they thought everyone was clueless back then.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

On 3/16/2017 at 0:51 PM, Tsingtao_1903 said:

That decision was already made for me.  The PO just happened to poke a hole in the very same spot to route the wiring for a VDO clock sitting in a gauge pod mounted on the dash board!!!  It was a straight forward matter to remove the silly dash pod, open up the hole and install the clock.

Tsingtao you were luckier than I, the PO of my 02 thought it was a good idea to poke a hole in a perfect crack-free dash in about the worst possible place to repair to install an aftermarket gauge. He missed the "clock hole" only by about 1.5" unfortunately. 

IMG_1607.thumb.JPG.e6b222b5c48bbf37827de5e781cbc81e.JPG

I bought a tii clock - with the crosshairs - to hide the hack repair job I am about to do to seal and cover the hole. My master plan now is to sand the rough edges of the hole, fill with padded dash filler and then use the little upholstery repair kit I bought to at least attempt to make the hole disappear. 

Judging by Conserv's picture I think the clock should conceal my likely not so great dash repair. We'll see. Here is my clock (the cover was harder to find than the actual clock!):

IMG_4866.thumb.JPG.0b2dbd3ec248e1188a33a0fff46a716a.JPG

John

Edited by JohnP_02

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

1 hour ago, JohnP_02 said:

Tsingtao you were luckier than I, the PO of my 02 thought it was a good idea to poke a hole in a perfect crack-free dash in about the worst possible place to repair to install an aftermarket gauge. He missed the "clock hole" only by about 1.5" unfortunately. 

IMG_1607.thumb.JPG.e6b222b5c48bbf37827de5e781cbc81e.JPG

I bought a tii clock - with the crosshairs - to hide the hack repair job I am about to do to seal and cover the hole. My master plan now is to sand the rough edges of the hole, fill with padded dash filler and then use the little upholstery repair kit I bought to at least attempt to make the hole disappear. 

Judging by Conserv's picture I think the clock should conceal my likely not so great dash repair. We'll see. Here is my clock (the cover was harder to find than the actual clock!):

IMG_4866.thumb.JPG.0b2dbd3ec248e1188a33a0fff46a716a.JPG

John

John,

After you've got the clock in place, no one will notice even the crudest repair in that "crevice" between clock and instrument binnacle....unless you show them!

The square taillight clock, as you appropriately have, has the additional hood which both increases the diameter of the clock, and makes that crevice even darker.  You could use a black marker on that dashboard damage and skip the filler!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Glad to see this topic has some life....as for the corner dash repair one might just paint the foam black for an easy fix.  Not much exposure once the clock is installed + you won't see it while driving (seeing the clock will be a major bonus :) )

-Mo

73 sunroof 2002 (past)  |  73 CSi (present)  |  FAQ Member #2538

2002 decals (mofaraz.com)     |     eBay

Probably a marketing thing, BMW might have thought there was no market in the U.K. for the smaller, sportier cars. Perhaps the NKs were seen as more conventional and considering that they were all expensive compared to contemporary British cars people may have been happier spending money on the more 'opulent' NKs. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

My Tii clock did not have a hood or a sleeve to install properly to the dash.

I noticed that the diameter of the clock roughly equals to the ID of the caps of my many spray paint cans (around 61 mm).  So, I took a cap with the closest dimensional match.  This cap also tapered from the bottom to the top.  Cut across, painted black, and installed.  Good enough for government work.

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

Edited by Tsingtao_1903

45 minutes ago, Tsingtao_1903 said:

My Tii clock did not have a hood or a sleeve to install properly to the dash.

I noticed that the diameter of the clock roughly equals to the ID of the caps of my many spray paint cans (around 61 mm).  So, I took a cap with the closest dimensional match.  This cap also tapered from the bottom to the top.  Cut across, painted black, and installed.  Good enough for government work.

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2750.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

Make one for me, Mr. Beer! ;-)

I may get around to it one day!

Tho this clock is a few mm smaller than a tii clock...

IMAG0240.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 3/17/2017 at 0:03 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

Paul I bet you could work something out with these guys, if you wanted...

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/BLACK-STITCHING-DASH-DASHBOARD-LEATHER-SKIN-COVER-FITS-BMW-2002-E10-TI-TII-/351351209533?hash=item51ce29fe3d

Cheers,

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 4/21/2014 at 5:17 AM, Conserv said:

Tii clock in my '76 non-tii. I installed it the first week I owned the car, in '76. Easy upgrade.

Steve

post-41123-0-60305800-1398071824_thumb.j

On 4/21/2014 at 11:07 PM, zinz said:

Jim,

You are awesome!!!

Guess what I JUST now completed? Installing my re-soldered, junkyard-find, Tii clock!!! I must give credit to Ray Koke for pointing me to this clock (it was mis-listed on eBay and Ray "gave" it to me) as luck would have it, the car was in a junkyard near me and I was able to find the wiring harness and other goodies. It was not a Tii, though. Just had the clock...

Been super nervous about cutting the dash, but you can easily feel those indentions from the backside ( I can easily reach up behind my center console). Just took a very sharp exacto knife and carefully started from the center and made the hole a little bigger and a little bigger, till the clock fit snugly. Plugged everything in annnnndd...wait for it....CLUNK...tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...

I have the stupidest grin on my face right now. What a joy to hear this clock running!! Here's some pics...

post-42878-0-41407200-1398135595_thumb.j

post-42878-0-61978200-1398135781_thumb.jpost-42878-0-85531400-1398135806_thumb.j

On 3/16/2017 at 0:35 PM, John76 said:

For those who wish to remain "clunkless", the VDO quartz clock is a nice option.

It took me years of hand-wringing over drilling a hole in my dash....but when I realized the cut-out in the bulkhead and perforation on the back of the dash for the clock was already there....I just did it. Measure 3 times and cut once. I used a 2 1/8" hole saw on a cordless drill.

I made a 3-pin plug by cutting off a section of a 9-pin appliance plug. Correct wire colors: Red = 12V, Brown = ground, Grey = light (dimmer).

IMG_9605.JPG

070.JPG

VDO Instruments.jpg

Okay, I was not smart enough like Steve (Conserv) to buy tii clock back in 1976, nor lucky enough like Ed for a friend to give heads up what's in junkyard and nor like John76 to find the right one somewhere.

With that, every time I drive my car looking at the dash looking for what time it is and obliviously is not there.

Has anyone have recommendation if any newer VDO clocks will be suitable. I really like to have clock in there. The ones I am looking at don't have bezel and mounting apparatus look different.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments-displays-and-clusters/by-series/vision-black/clock.html

Thanks,

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

5 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

Okay, I was not smart enough like Steve (Conserv) to buy tii clock back in 1976, nor lucky enough like Ed for a friend to give heads up what's in junkyard and nor like John76 to find the right one somewhere.

With that, every time I drive my car looking at the dash looking for what time it is and obliviously is not there.

Has anyone have recommendation if any newer VDO clocks will be suitable. I really like to have clock in there. The ones I am looking at don't have bezel and mounting apparatus look different.

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instruments-displays-and-clusters/by-series/vision-black/clock.html

Thanks,

Vintage Autobahn is selling repops. They look decent, but I can't verify the quality. I think they are on this forum as well. May be a nice option. 

John

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292040906173 

IMG_1618.thumb.PNG.e43b5d3033a97da648d7a1c535af087a.PNG

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

43 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Paul I bet you cold work something out with these guys, if you wanted...

Thanks for that. Nice alternative.  I'm still hoping that someone somewhere has a lower tray kicking around.  It's the top portion that dies early. Quite often the bottom tray survives the sun and abuse. That's what I want to believe anyway.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

2 hours ago, Buckeye said:

Below is the newer VDO quartz clock I removed from the dash pot.  I was going to turn it into a desk clock. 

The diameter is smaller  at ~51 mm instead of ~61 mm.  Let me know if you want it - free. I'll rig up a bezel and mounting for it.  

IMG_2753.JPG