Sign in to follow this  
gorms70

200Mm To 215Mm Clutch

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

The clutch on our very stock 1970 1600 has started slipping recently. Can I get my original re-surfaced? Or should I bite the bullet and convert to a 215mm? If so what parts can I keep stock and which doI need to replace?

Conversion might be tough- it's been a long time,

but I seem to remember that the crank snout on the 200mm- clutched motors was 6 bolt

AND smaller.  Helped a friend with his a while back

(which means, at least 10 years ago)

and we ended up using his 200mm setup

with an aftermarket clutch from someplace like NAPA.

Others will know more...

t

Maybe my best option is to have my clutch relined. If so what other parts do I need to replace?

Depends.

If you have the 3- finger coil- spring style, you can actually get it surfaced, and either find a new

friction plate or get yours relined.  You can have the step 'deepened' to make up what was lost

in the surfacing.

If you have the diaphragm style, you need to find a new cover. (pressure plate)  They were still

available in the aftermarket when we did Steve's.

In either case, you need a new pilot bearing and throwout.

www.realoem.com will help with part numbers- this is one case where it may be better than www.penskeparts.com

t

Thanks TonyB

I have found and ordered the friction plate from a seller that is closing his BMW parts business online. How do I determine which pressure plate I have? My car has the older Porsche style four speed with the mechanical clutch.

I've got Ireland Engineering local to me so I am sure they can provide the bearings I need if they are the same as found with a 215mm clutch.

Thanks for your continued support. I am just trying to gather as much info as I can before I take the car out of service and limit her down time.