m6smitten

Body Colored Or Black Rocker Panels

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

After twenty years of neglect, the '02 will get some minor cosmetic work done. The plan is to wire brush off some minor surface rust ( on the frame rails, wheel well, rear deck under the spare) and prime for paint. But after looking at the German '02 Turbo owners club site, I am not sure whether to paint the rocker panels body color (Chamonix) or black. 

Pleas epost your thoughts>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here are some comparisons.

Black

galJPKlein1_zps1b547d2d.jpge95f5ad5d987221d8fe2b557e09a8a77_zps39d6galAufderMaur_2_zps3d68bb72.jpggalWilmots2_zps6657494f.jpgWhite

ae9e4f0474f3e612d9f5d462d935be70_zps80bdgalRommelfanger4_zpsc1295dc2.jpgimage7_zps436fa2b0.jpeg

(edited)

Just did mine with some black rock chip guard and it looks 1/2 decent, I kind of like the contrast. Doesn't show up well in this pic but my vote is for black.

13656269454_9d2f22bb0f_b.jpg

Edited by davej

(edited)

Your car, but since you asked I think the black looks better

Edited by glemon

Your car, but since you asked I think the black looks better

Phew, thought I'd be standing alone there for a bit. :)

(edited)

Weren't all turbo rocker panels, like all square taillight rocker panels, black from the factory? If that's true, I would definitely go with black.

Below: from one of at least two factory turbo brochures.

Steve

post-41123-0-10580300-1397391248_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

When I had my '75 painted, I put the rockers back to black. I don't know what came from the factory, but mine were black when I bought it. I like it that way.

(edited)

Square tailights, '74-'76 model year cars, had black rockers from the factory. In addition to my own car, which has never had its black rockers re-painted, I have brochures for the '74-'76 model years. My '70 had body-color rockers from the factory. And, indeed, I have brochures for the '68-'72 model years, which show body-color rockers. I'm pretty certain my '67 had body-color rockers from the factory (my only surviving photos post-date my re-painting of the car, and I certainly had body-color rockers then). But I don't have a '67 model year brochure and I don't have a '73 model year brochure.

The blacked-out rockers made the cars look less "chunky" by visually eliminating that entire area. I would not, however, black out the rockers on a car that didn't originally have blacked out rockers -- but that's just my viewpoint. Although the change may have occurred with the change in body style, I won't discount the possibility that it could have happened earlier than '74, as I don't have that '73 model year brochure.

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I think black looks good if you use the stainless trim piece. If you are going to fill the holes and remov the trim, body color looks good.

(edited)

Weren't all turbo rocker panels, like all square taillight rocker panels, black from the factory? If that's true, I would definitely go with black.

Below: from one of at least two factory turbo brochures.

Steve

Well done men. This had been bugging me for months.

Honestly I didn't think to look at the brochure as the pre-production version was a little different form the 1672 run. But I did find this pic from ///M registry = black rockers on the production line!

2002Turboproduction-1_zps0e78c101.jpg

Edited by m6smitten

(edited)

Well done men. This had been bugging me for months.

Honestly I didn't think to look at the brochure as the pre-production version was a little different form the 1672 run. But I did find this pic from ///M registry = black rockers on the production line!

2002Turboproduction-1_zps0e78c101.jpg

Great photo!

Warning: thread hi-jack! That photo reminds me that I want to paint a spare set of styled-steel rims in the "turbo style." The silver outer rim, I'm convinced, was the same silver used on all other '02 steelies of the era. But what color have people used to emulate the dark gray centers? I've seen black used but it looks too dark; bona fide un-repainted turbo steelies I've seen -- twenty+ years ago -- appeared to be a dark gray, like an Anthrazitgrau but less metallic. Thoughts? Arguments?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv