Sign in to follow this  
LB72

Wtf!

12 posts / 1160 viewsLast Reply

A few days ago I went outside to walk the dogs and noticed that someone backed into my center grille and put a hole in the license plate, at least I don't have to unscrew it, just cut the zip ties. :(

post-43014-0-57968100-1397331425_thumb.j

post-43014-0-57968100-1397331425_thumb.j

That sux. I park (parallel) in the city quite a bit, and my big-ass bumpers have saved my bacon more than a few times. But I've still had to replace a center grill once, and a taillight once too (lifted SUVs). Now I look out more for who's in front back of me - but it's still a risk because those two cars can leave and then ???.

Maybe you can undent that grill yourself...

Tom

Living in the city is one place where diving board bumpers do come in handy. They will help protect your vehicle up to a certain point. All bets are off if someone backs into you with a SUV or pickup truck. The odds are high that the SUV/pickup bumper will easily clear the 02 bumper and not much you can do about it but be aware of where you park.

G-Man

welcome to long beach

I have to admit, I am a bit neurotic about what kind of vehicle is in front of me when I parallel park.  I know it's not fair to judge people by what they drive, but I don't trust SUV drivers.  I always put my chariot between two normal cars if I can help it.

Back in 2010, a Chevy Suburban driver in front of me changed his tiny mind about heading into traffic, so he threw his SUV into reverse without looking and bashed the nose of my 2002.  With that leviathan, he could not see the itty-bitty BMW behind him.   I also had that happen at the post office one time in another car of ours and that doofus got mad at me.  "Well, you shouldn't have been there!"  -- was his classy line.

I sold my street car,  so that doesn't happen any more.

t

I sold my street car, so that doesn't happen any more. t

So now you just tailgate at WOT?

That won't cause any dings.   ;)  (I so want to race.)

I just borrowed my brother in law's newer truck, it was a Chevy I think, but anyway they are all the same, it is amazing how high you sit in these things,  I had to back up out of his curved driveway, I did not feel like I could really see where I was going in reverse at all, and proceeded with extreme caution. 

I do talk to people who say they enjoy their trucks and SUVs for the "commanding driving position" but I still really don't understand why they are designed to be so far off the ground.  The first time I stepped out it didn't occur to me to use the step on the side of the truck and I almost took a tumble.

The raised position makes it a bigger job to lift and load the bed, get in and out of the vehicle, and can't be doing anything for handling or MPG, let alone parking visibility.  Would seem they could make a better vehicle if they lowered it a foot or a foot and a half, but they probably wouldn't sell (they don't make trucks and SUVs for people like me, who only drive them when they have to, to haul something big) so I guess we will have to proceed and park with caution when we drive our BMWs and such.

Sorry, rant off.