Pstegner

Best Differential Option

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am restoring a 74 tii and hear I need to get a new diff. Out of a e21 320is. I have looked and they seem to be around 600 dollars. I had keeps for a long time and you could buy just the LSD internals and keep your original case. Is there anything like this for the 2002. Can I just get LSD internals and install them in my open diff case?

I have been upgrading my 75 2002 and picked up a diff a month ago.  I changed it at the same time as going auto to a 5 speed.  

It is the exact diff you are considering and it came out of a 320is (3.91) LSD.  I did a bit of research prior since it doesn't just plug into the 2002.. Aardvark Racing has a kit and it works perfect (I believe it was $125)  You should be able to find a nice diff for $450.  I know of a few sources in the Pacific NW that have them.  

As far as internal swaps go instead I don't really know the answer.  I would guess that a swap with quality parts would be a lot more work and $.

Awesome thanks. I live in Olympia, wa. Would you mind sharing your Pacific Northwest sources?

depending on how mechanically inclined you are and how well stocked your tool supply is, you can use the internals from other bimmers running the small case 168mm diffs (the e21 is the odd duck out, but it is possible with the untis from the e30 318 and e36 318).

see article in driveline section for more info.

and for the record, you don't NEED an lsd.  half of them are worn to the point they just act like an open diff.

(the later e21 is the odd duck out, 

fixed that for ya...

t

I just bought a brand new remanufactured diff from precision machining for around $450.

Precision Machining? Where's that? 3.91?