bruno615

Brake Line Fitting - Is This Stripped?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of a Tii Booster/MC swap.  While everything came out alright, I can't get one of the underside fittings to thread on.  It feels like it's catching, but I can't get a whole turn on it.  The threads look like they're pitted or something.

If this is F'd, what do I do?  Do I need a new line or just a new (or used) fitting and a brake flare tool?

wyJlr5Zl.jpg

BodnARrl.jpg

HkJqVYel.jpg

You can use an old brake hose to screw on to it to check for damaged threads. 10mm x 1 I think it is.

Yeah, i would find a nut with the correct threads and carefully wind it on and off the nipple to straighten out the threads

Looks like I will be doing this.  The M/C is definitely not stripped.

If the nut doesn't work out, where can I find a bubble flare tool for rent?  Does Autozone/AAP rent them?

If you're asking about the unthreaded part near the nipple, no, that's normal- it tends to bulge slightly when really tightened

down, so they neck the tube nut back a bit so it won't gall in there and damage the internal threads.

That looks like an aftermarket line (from the color) and, at least where I get 'em, they tend to have more 'neck' than the

OEM used.  But they work well.  ('Royze?'  I don't remember...)

t

Running the bolt on the thread worked well.  For all those wondering, the threads on a brake line fitting are M10x1.  I ran it up and down the threads, then torqued it sideways a bit and did the same.  Afterward, the threads looked much better.  

For that one fitting, I only had luck by removing the MC from the booster to get it on, then reattaching from there.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

The fine 10x1mm threads are very sensitive to angle when beginning the thread them in. The fitting needs to be perfectly square on the hole or the threads won't catch. Just a little sideways pressure or misalignment is enough to make them not catch. One of those things that is easy to do when you have good access and can see everything, but can be difficult when you are reaching in at an awkward angle and/or doing it blind.

I've had similar issues trying to get the front strut gland nut catch when it has come loose on the car. Since I have coilovers once I raise the car I can reach in with a pipe wrench or big channel-lock to tighten the nut. Sometimes I can get it to catch, but just recently I couldn't and thought it might be stripped. Pulled out the strut--the threads were slightly damaged but once I got the right angle it went on fine. --Fred