• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phising Scam Update...

RVHaner

So I've had some exchanges with this person,claimng to be 2 diffrent people,David Gills+John Hardy,using the exact same physical address'...Here is the correspondence this person sent me...he was not bright enough to realize he sent me 2 emails in the same night I guess...here is one of them...the other said exactly the same thing with the David Gills name...

John Here! Please let me know if you are still interested in purchasing a Close-Ratio Steering Box, Email and I'll get back to you

Thanks

John Hardy
1219 N 76th St,
Kansas City, KS 66102

The John Hardty pretender email sent me pictures of a ford mustang steering box..not even close to what I was looking for....David,did a little more homework,actually getting pics of an honest to god 2002 close ratio box to try and suck me in...the price was even about right...started at $1k and settled on $800...He wanted me to send him money through money gram...telling me he wouldn't use paypal because he had been scammed on there and wouldn't use them consequently..After I told him I would only use paypal,he then told me I could send him half the $$ now and he would ship it...then I could send him the balance upon receipt..again,through moneygram only..(claimed his wife worked there)

I've dealt with people all over the world for the last 18yrs with vintage motorcycles and parts sending and receiving 10's of thousands of dollars at a time,and never had anything like this happen....ever...Maybe I was just lucky...or possibly the mentality in those circles is a little diffrent.....and things are a little more easily verified....which obviously,isn't the case everywhere...

I got back on this site after having been gone for years after I closed my business in 07 after 20yrs and a bad fire.which took everything thing I owned...... Recemtly I,got back into 02's stricltly for pleasure,after buying one back I had built 15yrs ago at my shop..I needed a couple things,so I post a wanted add...and immiediatley,someone is trying to scam me.....                                                                                               

I am not at all not saying it is the fault of this site....as I think these days,it could happen almost anywhere,with about anything....desperate times,make desperate people....just trying to warn everyone here that if you get a solicitation from anyone claimg to be either one of these clowns...or...someone else using this address.. its a scam...                                

For the mods here,or anyone that is intrested,I have there correspondence + e addys for anyone who would care to see them...If anyone has any idea if its possible to see where this person actually really is,I  would love to see if its possible to track them through there IP address,and hand it over to the authoritys.so that they could be caught and hung by there testicles...We all work too hard for our money to have idiots like this trying to ruin our day

Again,as before.....just a public service announcement...

Whoa. I was just getting ready to email back and buy a mono steering wheel from David when I saw this post.

We traded a few emails after he answered my wanted ad from here.

He has been very nice and really informative. Knew all about the wheel (350MM, etc), sent great pics.

The only reason I didn't email back yet was because I don't know what money gram is. 

Had it been paypal I would have already sent the money. Didn't feel fishy at all.

Same address.

Yikes!

Maybe it's just a misunderstanding? (I know, I try to see the good in people). Either way, I'll buy a new one online, price was close and now I'm spooked.

Edited by aaronr

1972 2002

if it turned out I was wrong about this,I would be the 1st to get on here and publicly appologize....but I just can't seem to explain away the 2 diffrent names with the same physical address,both wanting to be paid by moneygram...

Maybe the site needs a listing of suspect emails and user names and related info when they prove out to be phonies??  I

'm a cyber security guy, and you really have to trust your intuition on these guys.  Some are so good they are going to get us.  I always check the "good reports" section to see if the seller has a good track record.  But, bad guys are good at being imposters.  I don't like the Paypal rates, AND I have had security issues with Paypal (solved with my two factor ID smart card) but unless they have a proven track record on the sites I frequent, I'm using PayPal (not an endorsement, just our policy) or if I'm selling a USPS money order in advance.

Dave in Baltim02e Maryland USA
1969 2002 Sahara  Manila  :)

1966 WM300 Dodge Power Wagon-Valley Green; 1972 Airstream Overlander; 1997 JDM Honda Prelude; 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 tow vehicle to tow home all the above junk!