Guest jeeperjack

Question

17 posts / 1011 viewsLast Reply

Guest jeeperjack

calipers have spacer between the two halves is this normal  or do i have something weird this is getting to be a guessing game as to what john built and now i have to try guess how to fix problems   ideas needed   jackpost-46794-0-88814400-1397177292_thumb.j

post-46794-0-88814400-1397177292_thumb.j

it would be more clear if you put the question in the title, rather than just "question"...

and if you put a picture of what you are talking about in your post.

welcome to the world of buying a modified car, that someone else modified.  ;)

Sounds like the early 5-series or possibly Bavaria calipers.  Basically a Tii caliper with a spacer to be used with vented rotors.  I have a similar set which I just removed from my 02 so I could install Ireland's Wilwood setup.

Ditto - obvious question topic in titles, plus pix really helps a lot.

I'd fathom a wild guess you have the vented caliper upgrade, thus the 'spacer' in the calipers... 

Guest jeeperjack

Thank you. the car has vented rotors.  hense the spacers. working on it last nite i understood why. but not sure of the reason but now i know why.  and sorry if i put the question in the wrong section. also we did not buy this car it was Nancys late husband who built it from the ground up

(edited)

Question is in the right place. It just helps to use a descriptive subject line in the title of a new topic. For example, "brake caliper spacers?"

As has been pointed out above, the spacers are used to move the caliper halves apart for use with vented rotors. "2002tii" calipers" can be made into E12 "528i" calipers by addition of the spacers, though as far as I know they are not available as a separate part. While most people say never split the calipers, I have and if this is done, just don't lose the little O-rings between the spacers and caliper halves.

Hope your project is going well--Fred

Edited by FB73tii

Guest jeeperjack

Thanks, i have two new calipers but were without the spacers. that was why the question. i  split the old ones and used them on the new. works fine.  jack