• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm running my 38/38 straight out of the box.  No adjustments made yet.  When I get some more SPARE time I will take a look and see what jets are currently installed.  I appreciate the comments from 73touring about the 'proper' sizes and will report back with my findings.  I have a minature drill index I use for just this purpose.  If necessary, I will solder up the 'idle air bush' and re-drill to the desired size.

73Touring has copied and pasted a carb set-up on ebay for a pinto engine, so don't expect it to work better for your m10 as nothing else is equal other than displacement and number of cylinders. I've not heard about the idle bush mod before and I'm looking into it. FYI I have so far settled on 60 idles, 142 mains with 160 correctors and f66 emulsion tubes (which are better suited for our engines than the f50s that probably came with you carb). It's running very well, but I think it could be better. Sorry for the topic drift here. 

Not sure how different a Pinto would look to a carb in fairness. Very close to same bore and stroke. OHC crossflow designs. Both have large ports for their time. Ignition very simular. A frend of mine was getting his rally car setup by Martin Tracy. Martin precribed him an ignition curve that he said was very close to what a pinto engine would require. The pinto was essencially fords attempt to replicate what new-fangled 4 cylinder BMW engine after the disaster of the V4 did but on a budget(belt driven, horrible rocker cover, cheaper and quicker wearing valve gear) Im not condoning pintos they are agricultural but in fairness well proven.

Its the simularities I saw when I found these carbs on ebay. Saying that Ill probobly never know as Ive a efi setup I will most likely use.

Sorry I missed this question!  Here's a photostory on the build.

http://s283.photobucket.com/user/jasongipson/story/11913

Eurotrash... is there a build thread on your engine? I'm assuming there's a marked improvement over stock.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

• 1 month later...

Went with Eurotrash to the dyno place yesterday.  Dynojet chassis dyno.  As Jason said in his post, this dyno is known to be tough.  The operator said new Subaru STIs that are rated at 300hp end up pulling a little over 200 hp on their dyno.  

Thanks to Jason for setting it up - I wouldn't have done it on my own, I don't think.  

Specs:

>'72 tii.  June '72 production, so E12 head w/aluminum runners.  9.5:1 compression (it's a euro-spec car).

>Motor is stock except for a rebuilt distributor (by Advanced) and Crane Ignition.  

>Motor has never been opened to my knowledge; about 150K on it.

>20w 50 oil.

Results were 90 rwhp, 99 ftlbs torque.  Nice flat torque curve.  Sounded great at 6,000 rpm, and the exhaust coming out of it looked good too.  Bottom line, it held together, and didn't do too bad for a 42 year old stock motor.

SCAtiidynoresults11.14.pdf

This is a little bit of an addictive activity...what if I sync'ed the throttle body to the pump, put in fresh plugs, lighter oil, played with the timing..could I get 5 more hp?

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

• 7 months later...

The local BMWCCA hosts an annual dyno day. While I knew I'd be the lowest HP number of the day I figured it would be a fun experience and a good baseline for future reference. We each got three runs. Here's an image of the printout from one. I'll add the others when I figure out how to use dynojet's viewer software.

post-47476-0-90902900-1434248945_thumb.j

Not bad for an internally stock motor with a 38/38, ie shorty header, ie stainless exhaust and a fresh tune up. I would've been happy with anything above 75hp.

Edited by bento
  • Like 1

Brent

1974 2002 - Megasquirt and turbo

2018 BMW M2/ 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel

those are interesting for entertainment, like the "apps" you can download for your smart phone.  not in same league as real dyno.  

the traqmate data acquistion system i use does a similar accelerometer based "HP" calc.  i use it for reference to look for any changes in vehicle performance.  (same point on race track, lap to lap, day to day, event to event)

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

Weber 45's with a Shrick 304. Got 142 and 142 on the A/X car here in Atlanta. Later determined jetting on

the Webers was a too small so curve fell off at pretty dramatically after peak. Expecting to do somewhat

better next time we visit with more compression, cam, etc.

post-9324-0-02895200-1434478261_thumb.jp

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold

Weber 45's with a Shrick 304. Got 142 and 142 on the A/X car here in Atlanta. Later determined jetting on

the Webers was a too small so curve fell off at pretty dramatically after peak. Expecting to do somewhat

better next time we visit with more compression, cam, etc.

142 is a lot to the wheels! what compression are you running in that car at the moment?

Edited by mattio523

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

Here's 150* at the wheels. Weber 38/38, Schrick 304 and plenty of compression (*we actually picked up a few more HP on changes after this pull...). -KB

what compression are you running on that car?

-Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

Does anybody know of a good Dyno shop in or around Portland Oregon? I would love to dig a little deeper into my setup and see what the curve looks like. PO rebuilt the engine but I don't think anything was upgraded... since then I have done 40 DCOE's, IE distributor, 4-1 header with IE stainless... other than that basically stock.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car