60 posts in this topic Last Reply

With all the swaps and builds going on, I don't think I have ever seen a thread dedicated to engine specs and dyno sheets.. 

Show us in pictures, the cold hard proof of what your mill is putting down.  share with us the type of dyno, any specifics on engine type, engine specs, diff gearing, etc. 

Post baseline pulls before a build.  Base line pulls during tuning, or just any pull!

I think a thread of this sort would be invaluable for folks planning a motor build, motor swap, or motor build and swap.

If you have never put your car on a dyno, it's thrilling.. go visit your friendly dynamometer operator today!

great idea....

Ive always wanted to get my m10 dyno'd

and I bet more than a few will be shocked how their hi dollar builds put out less hp than expected :unsure:

(edited)

great idea....

and I bet more than a few will be shocked how their hi dollar builds put out less hp than expected :unsure:

I think it's a great idea also, as I'd love to see some numbers. I have a feeling I'll be going down this road before long :D

I think your right about some people being shocked about their numbers. None the less, I think a well built 292 cammed engine would make an 02 a blast to drive.

Eurotrash... is there a build thread on your engine? I'm assuming there's a marked improvement over stock.

Edited by 2002dean

The third motor I built went faster than the second. 1:41

The second was more durable than the first. 1:43

The first one was paid for.  1:46

There. Empirical

data!

t

Dyno data is useless for comparing between cars or for sets of mods. Unless the runs were done on same exact calibrated dyno...by same dyno operator.

The data can be entertaining though!

(edited)

Dyno numbers are interesting even if they vary by shop. The real objective is to see the improvements for your car, after changes, per visit or pull. But yet the numbers are generally indicative of what someone else could expect, plus or minus.

Edited by eurotrash

East coast 02 guys... I have a friend who runs a dyno up in Connecticut I believe. We could get discounted rates if we all pick a day to do runs. Wideband also so we could get useful data to use for tuning while we are at it.

(edited)

I have been wanting to have a Dyno day for the RGB group for a while now. Never got around to it.  I think it would be enlightening and fun. Especially after now having done it myself. 

I really didn't want to be the first to post up on this topic, because I have posted this info before,  but I will do so.  To be clear, I think this would be valuable for anyone.  Not just the guys with aggro cams and side drafts.  Getting some sort of basic expectation set for those planning a build, or actually KNOWING what your hard work rendered is a good thing.  I think it would  be great  for the 284 cam with a 38/38, or a 292 with a 32/36..  or bone stock rebuild with flat tops and a single throat solex.  All would be a great catalog of basic info for the 2002 scene as a whole, as well as a fun day for the owners.  And if they take the info home, go make some changes, and revisit, they know what the improvements have done.  I strongly encourage it.  Hell I was just praying for triple digits..  I was thrilled.  But most importantly, I learned that I could maximize my investment with some tuning.

East coast 02 guys... I have a friend who runs a dyno up in Connecticut I believe. We could get discounted rates if we all pick a day to do runs. Wideband also so we could get useful data to use for tuning while we are at it.

Edited by eurotrash

(edited)

The place I go to here in Cincinnati uses a DynoTech AWD dyno.  They set up a temp sensor for the air at the carbs, and an 02 sensor at the tail pipe.  He did some set point/calibration for RPM and such (not exactly clear on that), asked what gear was 1:1 (4th) and away we went.

Previous to the rebuild, I didn't take the car to a dyno.  For whatever reason, I was timid about it, hadn't been before, etc. I regret that decision now.   But, I did do something I was familiar with..  Went drag racing.  LOL  I paid 10 bucks, got three runs in, learned some things about the car, and had a blast. Here are my time slips from that day.  (I can't wait to see the new ones..)

70D8D686-4AA1-48FE-93C1-E6E9A6675240.jpg

Then the rebuild came.  Here are the details on the engine.

Original M10 2.0L motor from my car.

IE 90mm 9.5 cast piano top pistons

Deves rings

Piston Assemblies lightened and balanced to within .5 gram.

Rod big ends balanced to within .5 gram

Piston/Rod assemblies balanced to within .5 gram, 1,253.0 gram average per assembly.

Crank balanced to "Pro-Stock" spec, what ever that is...

Original e12 head.

1mm oversize IE SS intake/exhaust valves.

HD single coil springs. 80 lbs

Stock retainers/locks

IE 292 regrind cam

IE adjustable cam gear, set to full retard (that's right) at 1.5 degree.  Not sure why, I was just told to. 

Dellorto 40DHLA-H Fully rejetted at this point.. on an IE manifold with top mount linkage.

Stahl 1.5" primary long tube header to IE SS exhaust.

123Ignition Distributor "Tune" version

Wideband.com wideband 02 sensor kit.

At the dyno I was nervous and excited.  It was going to be either embarrassing and disappointing, or gratifying.  It really could have gone either way. 

Here is the sheet with notes and explanations penned in.

5AFED6A6-0FE0-4AF7-A343-E2BD3BCA2AF4.jpg

You can see that at 4-4500 it has something going on.  It went rich and HP flattened out. Since that day, I double checked the rev limiter, its at 6500. I changed plugs (I was still using the plugs from before the build).  And neither affected the issue of a rich condition at 4000 and up. On the road it just hits a wall and stumbles..  Before I go digging into the jetting and emulsion tubes I wanted to eliminate all other possibilities. 

Yesterday I had a hunch.  So I opened the compy and studied the differences in the Tii curve from the 008, and the Ti curve from the 033 distributors,etc.  Some advance ramps were faster, and the total advance looked to be advanced..ed..er in some..   So I thought, 'Hm, needs moar advance at high rev maybe??", and programmed the dizzy to max out at 38 degrees rather than 33.  Boom, no more brick wall at 4500.  Now I'm curious for my next dyno visit, to see what it will push above 4500!!!

Edited by eurotrash

Eurotrash:

Your results look pretty right with what we have seen here.  We have dynoed a lot of 2002's over the years always on the same dyno.  I would expect you to hit about 120 at between 5500 and 6000.  Once you sort out the timing (i suggest maybe 36 degrees) I think you could use a slightly larger air jet to lean the mix at higher rpm.  The 40mm carbs will begin to fall off at about 5500 as they just can't pass enought air. 

Jeff

(edited)

Eurotrash:

Your results look pretty right with what we have seen here.  We have dynoed a lot of 2002's over the years always on the same dyno.  I would expect you to hit about 120 at between 5500 and 6000.  Once you sort out the timing (i suggest maybe 36 degrees) I think you could use a slightly larger air jet to lean the mix at higher rpm.  The 40mm carbs will begin to fall off at about 5500 as they just can't pass enought air. 

Jeff

Jeff

Are you saying to see max performance out if this engine you need to use 45s? If so, where would the hp/rpm numbers most likely be?

Eurotrash

Thanks for posting the info. I'm finding it very useful, as I plan on building a similar engine. Are you going to run it at the strip after it's fully tuned? It would be great to see what it pulls. I assume it already feels much quicker than before.

Dean

Edited by 2002dean

Thanks for the response Jeff.   I set the max of 38 degrees at 8k rpm (which, it will obviously never see.).  So its slowly getting more advance, from 33 degrees at 3500 to the 38 at the 8k set point.  I'd say at 5500-6k RPM, its getting just about 36 degrees. But I can certainly be sure of it by telling the dizzy to deliver that specifically.

I knew I would be pushing these Dellortos to their limit.  But I will say they are smooth on the street, and I just calculated 21 mpg when I filled the tank back up this morning.