lilcphoto

Weber Dcoe Help In Pdx, Beer And A Good Time!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am ready to install the DCOE's onto the car, sans the correct jets.

Currently installed in the set of brand new spanish DCOE's are:

30 - choke

4.5 - aux

115 - main jets

f11 - emulsion tube

200 - air correction jets

45f9 - idle jet

From what I gather, this would be a good setup for a 1.8L engine. If I was to go about it the correct way, I'd pick up some 120 mains, f16 emulsion, leave the airs at 200, and 50f8 idle's.

This setup closely matches a mix between Alpina spec and whats generally recommended for a 2.0L engine.

I am simply looking to install the DCOE's. Not for any other reason than having DCOE's. I am into tinkering and want the satisfaction of working on my car on a regular bases, and am not trying to get speed or efficiency out of the DCOE's.

With that all being said, I've had the carbs for about a year now, waiting for all of the parts to come together, waiting for my situation to be right (not being dependent on a car) and now that spring has arrived, I'd like to tackle the project.

I have tried to find someplace locally that will help me tune them, or even a store that would stock the jets for the DCOE's... again locally (SE Portland to be exact), and have yet to really come across some place that has the stuff to help. Ideally, with the currently setup I have, I am fairly confident I can get it to run (or at least limp if need be) but definitely not run as healthy as the DCOE's would allow. If I could find someone or someplace that has spare jets to test out, and the ability to tune it up properly I would be much happier (and less stressed). I feel more than confident that I can tune the car and get it properly running, as long as I have some initial help and some jets to test out.

So, with all that being said, is there anybody out there that is comfortable with DCOE's in the Portland area? Willing to help out and get a daily driver with DCOE's on the road?

post-41531-0-38727300-1397066951_thumb.j

The only local place I would prob check that can do it is Peters Hobby Shop.  Have you talked to them?  I have not used Peter for anything but this should be fairly easy.  Other then that Patrick at Midnight Motorsports here in Seattle can help you.  You would likely have to leave the car with him.

Update: I installed the carbs and now I am just dealing with tuning them... Does anybody in the Portland area run DCOE's and would want to meet up and talk tuning? I have run into a few issues that I've been dealing with and would love to bounce off a fellow 02 owner a few things.

I'd be willing to drive a distance as well if that helps...

Good luck. I tried years ago to find a local shop to tune just my regular old 34/36 and didn't have much luck. Dang confounding carbs. I would maybe check with the old school BMW folks in the area, like Mike O'Hara up in Cully. 

I'm not looking for a shop to take them to, I am looking for fellow 02's with DCOE's that want to chat about their setup.

I've been to mike, I've been to pacific motorsports, to munich motorwerks, went to gary @ boyd motor werks... I've even been to motorsports international (more of a Porsche/VW shop but they were happy to tune the carbs when I first got them installed). I love tinkering with my own car and I am confident enough to work on the DCOE's myself, but certain things I run into get really frustrating, and finding another person who understands what I am talking about without having to pay them money for their time is what I need.

Go to Rhom Innovations. My car is there now for the same reason. Finally got rid of my 38/38s

Again, I wasn't looking for a recommendation for a shop, I was looking for a fellow 02'er that wanted to discuss differences with jetting and the like.

At this point, I took it back to Mike O'Hara and had him adjust everything, as my idle was sticking open. He chalked it up to a faulty bushing within the linkage (it was very stiff). So at this point the car is running and idling fantastic. He did recommend going up one or two sizes in the main jets.

I am still interested in talking shop with other 02's with DCOE's though, so if you happen to be in the general Portland area (I don't mind a decent drive to talk shop) let me know!