DaveBMX

Are The Pitman Arms And The Strut Bottoms Cast Steel Or Iron?

7 posts / 855 viewsLast Reply

I want to weld them together to get more negative camber and negate the loose bolt scenario. Does anyone know if they are cast steel? if so i can mig them safely but if they are cast iron its not going to be safe

regards

Dave

Thanks Tommy, i have heard of issues welding them but im looking for a little more info on if it needs a specific filler rod and tigging as i only have a mig.

I have brandnew ball joints however my plan was to weld it so that some careful work with a plasma disc will allow seperation

regards

Dave

Probably forged steel.  They would need impact resistance that a casting doesn't have.  There is only one pitman arm, that is off the steering sector.  The other one is an idler arm.  Then there are the drag links, etc., etc.

I think Jim's right- it behaves like a forging, and is quite tough as well as strong.

Welding seems like a solution that has many more potential problems to it...

I've never had a loose bolt on a car I maintained properly, and I've knocked a few 

front corners off over the years...

t

Thanks for clearing that up so they are idler arms.

my main reason is to achieve the extra camber without using pillow blocks as they still require the use of bolts. i like the idea of adding fixed camber without altering geometry to much.

current negative points are

Cant change ball joints easily

relying on welds to keep strut and arm together

postives are

free negative camber

no bolts to lose or shear

I have noted one case on this forum of a lost strut assembly causing pretty bad damage due to bolts backing out and heard of another which isnt a lot but does show it can happen.

i will ponder it for a while ha!!

regards

Dave

(edited)

I am with T. No reason to weld these. Never had a properly tightened and locktited bolt come loose. Get the massive brakes or ie offset spacers instead.

If those bolts ever back out on their own there was operator error involved, not a fault with the assembly design.

Edited by mlytle