RVHaner

Phising Scam..

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

just thought I'd let everyone know here after I recently ran an add searching for a close-ratio steering box,I got a response from someone,using 2 diffrent names...but with the identical address ...

obviously,they got my address from "phising"...since what they had,(a new steering box for a mercury cougar??),wasn't even close to what I was looking for..I was asked to send $$ in the form of a money gram,which was $150...freight included....and they would send it out...asked me for my real address as well...

Thought about posting the names and address' here...but I feel sure they were fictious anyway...so couldn't see the point...

In the past,instead of posting my correct e addy...I always have used word for symbols...like dot for .,at for @...etc..within your address, i your using one in your add...,people can figure it out,and it slows down the web crawlers they use to search for address' they can try and scam.....you all probobly know this already...but for those that don't,call it a public service annoucement...

just thought I'd let everyone know here after I recently ran an add searching for a close-ratio steering box,I got a response from someone,using 2 diffrent names...but with the identical address ...

obviously,they got my address from "phising"...since what they had,(a new steering box for a mercury cougar??),wasn't even close to what I was looking for..I was asked to send $$ in the form of a money gram,which was $150...freight included....and they would send it out...asked me for my real address as well...

Thought about posting the names and address' here...but I feel sure they were fictious anyway...so couldn't see the point...

In the past,instead of posting my correct e addy...I always have used word for symbols...like dot for .,at for @...etc..within your address, i your using one in your add...,people can figure it out,and it slows down the web crawlers they use to search for address' they can try and scam.....you all probobly know this already...but for those that don't,call it a public service annoucement...

Similar situation here, person responded directly through my email address saying they had what I wanted, I asked for details and a picture and it was not very close to what I was looking for. They also asked for a moneygram, which, quite honestly, is a fairly archaic way to send money. I would rather hand a bag of shinplasters to the Wells-Fargo wagon.

We do not allow people to see your email address. So, if you didn't post the address in any way and still recieved direct emails and you suspect this came through us, please let me know.

Please, use PMs. They are safer and we would have a record.

steve k.