PaulTWinterton

Diagnostic Plug Wiring Question.

9 posts / 730 viewsLast Reply

I seem to be getting low voltage from the Diagnostic Plug to the Solenoid.

I thought someone here might know where the connector (in the following diagram)is in the car.

post-38825-0-70191900-1396920483.jpg

The diagram is early US Tii.

(edited)

Hi Paul. The diagnostic plug is typically located on the inner driver's side fender, under or next to where the fuse box is, up by the bulkhead.  It may or may not have a cap on it...

Tom

Edited by visionaut

Here is a couple of pictures

4d38c3b43d3de2aca389a280b79b2030_zps9266

b911f3450297d73f623809c2abda525e_zps124b

I have also seen the plug located on some models on the passenger side of the cylinder head, rear by distributor.

Best,

Hey Tom, I know where the plug is.  It's the connector further into the (harness) wiring that I can't locate. 

Hi Paul,

I traced the alternator wires back all the way to the firewall and fusebox and could not find the connector. In the above picture there is a connector near the diagnostic plug behind the windshield cleaner bottle. That is the only connector I see, but not the one I think you are looking for. Sorry.

Tom

Stephan, I think it's that clear plastic connector in your second pic.  It would make some sense. 

Thanks everybody for offering ideas.  Tomorrow the car goes into the electric shop so the experts can diagnose my intermittent solenoid "click", and the voltage loss at the Diagnostic Plug.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul - it looks like you are trying to measure voltage at Pin # 7 at the socket.   Make sure that someone did not install the diagnostic socket backwards in the holding bracket.  That's what happened to my tii (by a PO).   Look very closely at the embossed pin numbers.

Paul - it looks like you are trying to measure voltage at Pin # 7 at the socket. Make sure that someone did not install the diagnostic socket backwards in the holding bracket. That's what happened to my tii (by a PO). Look very closely at the embossed pin numbers.

Thanks.  I will look closely.