StayFrosty

Newbie 2002 Owner

14 posts / 1174 viewsLast Reply

Hi all,

I just bought my first 2002, after a long search my hard work finally paid off.

My 1972 2002 in Verona Red, my plans are to do a rolling restoration on the car.  :D

post-47014-0-01606300-1396899383_thumb.j

post-47014-0-88817000-1396899388_thumb.j

post-47014-0-04229300-1396899449_thumb.j

Looks great! Is there rust under that shiney car or some major work to do? why would you call it "a rolling restauration" if it's as good a driver as it looks?

There is one tiny rust spot on the rear windscreen passenger side, other than that the car is completely solid. 

The engine is strong, it runs great. I only call it a rolling restoration as I just want to keep it in tip top shape whilst I use it as an almost daily driver.

Although last night the car did dump oil. It seems the last mechanic to change the oil filter didn't replace the o-ring seals and the washers, so we had a blow out and I spent the day cleaning up the mess :/ Luckily it was just in my driveway and not whilst driving. I have read that I might need to check the oil pressure release value if this happens again? But I'm replacing all washers and seals and will go from there. 

I'll post the photo soon, its quite a sight!

Really nice looking car!  If that's all original paint, I'd do as little repainting as possible--just fixt that little rust spot you reported under the rear window.  To do that right, the back window will have to come out, and that'll mean a new rubber gasket--which it probably needs if that's the original gasket.  

A '72 should have a spin-on oil filter, and those filters come with a gasket stuck to the filter housing.  Be advised that M10 motors generate a lot of oil pressure, so make sure you use the specified filter--there's an Opel filter that's identical appearing, but doesn't have an internal pressure relief valve--those can be blown out on a cold morning (ask me how I know!)

Anyway, welcome to the fraternity/sorority--lotsa good information here--friendly folks too.

cheers

mike

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) Can't tell you the joy I get from just knowing that I own a 2002

A '72 should have a spin-on oil filter, and those filters come with a gasket stuck to the filter housing.  Be advised that M10 motors generate a lot of oil pressure, so make sure you use the specified filter--there's an Opel filter that's identical appearing, but doesn't have an internal pressure relief valve--those can be blown out on a cold morning (ask me how I know!)

I have heard this, but mine uses the cartridge filter not the spin on. Are either more prone to failure? I will more than likely convert to a spin on filter for ease of finding parts in the future.

Happy 2002sday all! :)

I just had gotten my first 2002 as well! I've been wanting one since I was 14, and now I'm 21! Same color, red is really a lovely color on this car. It looks great! CONGRATS! :)

congrats frosty and robin, both your cars are swanky.

frosty have you seen any other local 02's in Cape Town?

Wow, I love the Red!!

Another "new"(I had a rusty POS '72 many moons ago) owner here of a '73 in Malaga. Not as nice as yours, yet at least. :D

(edited)

I just had gotten my first 2002 as well! I've been wanting one since I was 14, and now I'm 21! Same color, red is really a lovely color on this car. It looks great! CONGRATS! :)

Congrats! Red is a great colour for 2002's :) I have already had two offers on the car and I've only owned it since Friday! Wishing you many happy miles!

congrats frosty and robin, both your cars are swanky.

frosty have you seen any other local 02's in Cape Town?

Thanks! I found my car through a buddy who has a '74 Sahara 2002tii other than that I know of about 3 more in Cape Town.

Wow, I love the Red!!

Another "new"(I had a rusty POS '72 many moons ago) owner here of a '73 in Malaga. Not as nice as yours, yet at least. :D

Thank you! :D

Edited by StayFrosty

That doesnt need a restoration :P Rock it though! Verona is one of my favorite colors on an 02! I've been rocking mine since I was 16 as a daily! Its now in my garage with a motor in pieces, things you do in college.... But all for more fun ;)

And a spin on filter was stock for these cars. Cartridge is sorta odd... It should be pretty easy to convert back to.

Trapezoid mirror's on the wrong side!  Oh yeah, it's RHD!

Nice buy.  Heaps of fun to be had, and lots of heads to turn.

Congrats.