• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weber 38 Wb Readings - Lean On Anything Else Than Wot?

GreenSwede

Well, I replaced them a little while ago. I´ve been driving the car a bit, just moving it from locations, with the 38 not touched just out of the box (I think I just installed it and adjusted the rpm on idle). And fiddled with the timing. They looked like this..

post-40090-0-59193100-1396901328_thumb.j

But, as I said I think that was due to too many cold choked starts. It actually dropped one cylinder with those plugs=)

As soon as I have the time I´m going to start from the beginning doing best lean idle according to Redline (I think) and see where I should go with idles. Also recheck timing. THEN have another look on the AFR. I just didn't bother messing with the carb until the AFR was in. And these were my first readings. Now I'm going to start over and do it right.

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Green i would run it fat if you drive it alot, and dont want to kill the motor quickly.

p.s idk why i can only post bold or italic :mellow: 

btw those plugs dont look rich at all. @14.5 they will look like cigarette ash

Edited by ndog

If that gauge is accurate, you are way lean under throttle.

And that video is a perfect example of why logging throttle position is so important...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Green i would run it fat if you drive it alot, and dont want to kill the motor quickly.

p.s idk why i can only post bold or italic :mellow: 

btw those plugs dont look rich at all. @14.5 they will look like cigarette ash

Yep, as I said I just move it between locations when necessary. My garage, my dads, outside, inside...

But yes, I'm aiming to run richer.

And really? One or two of them had shut down, it ran like crap (I had the dizzy off and was resetting and test driving) but ran "fine" (on all four) as soon as I replaced the plugs.

If that gauge is accurate, you are way lean under throttle.

And that video is a perfect example of why logging throttle position is so important...

t

I thought I´d check for exhaust leaks as well. I had some of it apart when installing the bung.

And one of my thoughts for development is a new camera angle to obtain view of my right foot..=) 

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

You just might! Also had an idea of a spring, och something flexible, attached in front of the tach and a piece of string to the accelerator.. One could even attach a piece of carboard behind it and draw a scale..=)

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------

A friend who races an E30 has a 2- color LED on his dash, in view of the camera.  When the idle switch is closed, the LED is red.

When the WOT switch is closed, it goes green.

It's the perfect coach for 'Keep Your Foot In It!!!'

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

if your car is a daily driver 10.5-11.0 at idle wont/shouldn't foul your plugs

.If you can dial it to that 13@w.o.t. should work with your jets,,,,,,,,,,I assume u have a stock cam

If you can tune it to idle 10.5ish then go w.o.t. and it still is lean put a air filter onit :mellow: 

Edited by ndog

if your car is a daily driver 10.5-11.0 at idle wont/shouldn't foul your plugs

.If you can dial it to that 13@w.o.t. should work with your jets,,,,,,,,,,I assume u have a stock cam

If you can tune it to idle 10.5ish then go w.o.t. and it still is lean put a air filter onit :mellow: 

The internet will tell you that ring wash can occur at those AFR's.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Agreed, you'll not do an engine any favours running those AFR's -fouling the plugs would be the least of your worries

Solche Fehler sind schon oft von Frisierpraktikern gemacht worden, die keine Ahnung von einer Ventilerhebungskurve hatten. -Ludwig Apfelbeck

Ring washing, and quite a bit of gas in the oil, maybe. And gas don't lube.

But, ndog, you mean that if I set the idle to 10.5ish with my current jetting, you reckon I might end up around 13 on WOT?

I don't know.. I'm getting a bunch of jets tomorrow, then I'll set timing, and idle checking turns on screws to see if I should change idle jets - then I´ll go for a drive, WOT and see what happens with the AFR. If not 13ish on wot - mains. And when happy with that I'll look to the higher RPMs and maybe adjust air correction.

That's my take on opinions and after some searching and reading.

Sounds like a plan?

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------

By the way. you do visit the 6500rpm redline regularly, right? It keeps the top end properly lubed :)

Your video may suggest you don't rev much over 4K. I wouldn't quite call that WOT territory :)

These motors are made to rev.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Sir, I do. I find the area around very pleasant=) Honestly, not 6500 - I´ve been gradually going upwards since the rebuild. The rebuild kind of made me scared of hurting the thing, rebuilding it took way too long and involved too much boring work.. A track day last fall made me get over it quite a lot, though, hitting around 6000 to keep the Miatas behind me. Around 5500 is kind of standard for spirited road driving for the moment, next track day - 6500rpm, guaranteed. 

However, when the AFR looked like that - I didn´t dare. A variety, a small one at least, of jets landed today and I´ll get on it this weekend.

And, I would say it is WOT territory, the throttle may be wide open just about anywhere on the rev scale=)

Edited by GreenSwede

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------