dasfrogger

Need Help With Derby Gray Paint Code

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm in need of help finding a viable paint code for Derby Gray. Yes, i've searched.

i've been able to find 056 (factory), 7050 (generic?), and CF048 (DuPont). Called two different dupont stores today and none of these codes pulls anything up. The bodyshop I work with cant find anything in their system, and sherwin williams was no luck either.

Who has had to respray Derby? What code did you use? Any insight would be a huge help. Finding the paint is the last hurdle i have to jump before my car comes back to me.

FE5CB816-513E-4356-B6A4-14E454725FAA_zps

03DEDE15-8D61-4711-9CF9-986273FEE880_zps

If you have any original Derby paint on your car (or can borrow a piece with original paint that hasn't been faded) most paint shops can do a spectrographic match and their computer will come up with a custom mix code that will match the original paint.  

It's worked for me...

mike

(edited)

If you have any original Derby paint on your car (or can borrow a piece with original paint that hasn't been faded) most paint shops can do a spectrographic match and their computer will come up with a custom mix code that will match the original paint.  

It's worked for me...

mike

If you do this, just be sure that you polish the panel well before doing the match. I had the lower part of my car painted 12 years ago, and they matched the paint perfectly--except that I hadn't waxed the car for about four months between my wreck and the repair. Yep; the lower part of my car is a perfect match to faded Colorado, but when I polish out the hood, roof and trunk, there's a subtle but noticeable difference. Lesson learned. At least the beltline trim and difference in planes of the panels hides it pretty well...

-Dave

Edited by dlhoovler

My car was originally Sahara and no longer has any paint on it. I'll have to find a derby panel. I had known about making a match but figured I'd try find a color code that worked first.

Anyone out there have a derby car they could take by their local paint shop? I believe they can match it and send the formula to my shop.

(edited)

It looks like your original code was 056.  Start with that--every paint manufacturer will have different paint numbers and formulas (which are changed periodically due to solvents, pigments, etc.).  I have had no problem using Glasurit paints for my '71 Riviera code 036.  If your body shop can't match your paint, I would look for a different body shop (or possibly a different paint supplier).  Some suppliers don't bother with older paint colors.  There shouldn't be any problem if your entire car is resprayed, obviously.

Edited by nbcbird

It looks like your original code was 056.  Start with that--every paint manufacturer will have different paint numbers and formulas (which are changed periodically due to solvents, pigments, etc.).  I have had no problem using Glasurit paints for my '71 Riviera code 036.  If your body shop can't match your paint, I would look for a different body shop (or possibly a different paint supplier).  Some suppliers don't bother with older paint colors.  There shouldn't be any problem if your entire car is resprayed, obviously.

I had mentioned 056 to everyone i've talked with with no success. One of the distributors i spoke with sells Glasurit too. I've looked up a couple other local Glasurit shops and will see if they can help when they reopen monday. Thanks for the idea! I haven't specificially asked for Glasurit paint as of yet, and shouldn't assume that they searched thru all their resources to find the color.

I may see if i can get a Derby touch up pen from BMW. I could use it to paint some fresh metal and have my shop do a spectrographic match off that.

Just a caveat, Glasurit is not cheap paint (but you get what you pay for).  Just so you know ahead of time. 

I find 056 here:

http://coloronline.glasurit.com/index.php?

Need to enter BMW for manf. and Derby for name... Not sure if that helps at all, but it does exist.

tlsn.png

Thanks for the link/info. I hadn't thought to specifically ask for Glasurit since at least one of the suppliers does carry it. Figured when they did a search they'd have checked all their databases. Looking forward to calling Monday and asking again.

Just a caveat, Glasurit is not cheap paint (but you get what you pay for).  Just so you know ahead of time. 

I'm sure it won't be. I'm hoping they'll mix me a small sample so I can make sure everything looks good before dropping money on paint. If I have a sample I can have Sherwin Williams (my painter's go to) create a formula too. However, depending on the price difference I may bite the bullet and go for Glasurit. I guess it's time to go back and do more research on PPG Vs. Sherwin Williams Vs. Glasurit.

Would love to see some pictures of the test panel.

me too - my derby NK was repainted in the late eighties and looks a little darker than the original paint that can still be seen here and there.