tii74

Timing Cover Oil Leak - Question

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have an oil leak at the upper timing chain cover, but below the valve cover.   The picture shows a little puddle of fresh oil on the lower cover bolt casing. I can see the oil coming out of there when I rev the engine.

Before I get into replacing the two upper timing gaskets, should I order any other parts?

TIA

post-46706-0-71168800-1396386126_thumb.j

From the photo, the chain cover looks suspect to be taller than the head is thick and that would leave a step at the valve cover gasket seal.  You have to look at it close or remove the valve cover and check.  If so, it will require machining to the same height as the head is thick or you may never stop the leak.

It does not look like the oil is running down from the valve cover. It seems to be almost squirting out of the seal between the timing cover and the head.

I did just change the valve cover gasket and the transition between the head and cover is pretty even. And I put some gasket sealer there just in case. But I will check again.

Thanks.

So while I am in there to replace the 2 little upper timing cover gaskets, is there anything else I should replace?

It depends on where the leak is. If it is below the head gasket, you might need lots of stuff, including a head gasket possibly. If it is on top of the head gasket, the two upper chain cover gaskets and a dab of gasket sealer in the corners should do it. Be sure to tighten the upper cover bolts in the correct sequence.

I'm with Jim- your sprocket cover looks tall.

Snuggle the bolts holding the cover DOWN first,

and see if that sucks it down a bit.

Otherwise, RTV on both sides of the valve cover gasket will seal it up-

for now.  You may find you have to change the gasket every time you do 

valves if you don't get it decked to head height, though.  Or find someone

with a short one...

hth

t

Thanks all.

I will clean it up, put on new gaskets and follow install instructions.  Hope to report no oil leak ...

i recently experienced exactly this, turned out the head was machined (probably 0.020") but the timing cover wasn't.

i took 0.5mm off it on a mill at work and it's all good now, of course with a new round of gaskets.

I JUST took my timing covers off today to fix a small leak! Be careful and you can remove the cover(s) without harming the HG. (Hell, even if you do hurt the HG a bit it's nothing RTV won't fix.) I've seen upper covers sit proud of the head from over-zealous use of RTV on mating surface between cover and HG. As far as RTV goes - "The Right Stuff" brand rocks the mic!

Nothing to really "replace while you're there" - pulling the upper cover alone doesn't present you with any "hard fought" access to much.

Oh yeah - be careful with "snugging" aluminum things down. Snugging can lead to breaking.

If you strip the threads out, you've overachieved on the 'snug- o- meter' scale.

And I find that Permatex Ultra Black doesn't do anything for microphones, but DOES seal oil leaks pretty well.

If you assemble it before it cures, you can use as much as your heart desires, and the excess just

makes a hellacious mess.

'you kids get off my lawn'

hee

t