Erika W.

Front Bumper Needing License Plate Put On :)

9 posts / 1658 viewsLast Reply

Hi everyone!

I've been needing to put my front license plate on my front bumper of my 1976 BMW.  I've never had a plate on there before, but would like to have it one there. Of course a regular license plate frame doesn't fit on it. Any ideas were to get a the proper mount for it? Thank you so much ahead of time. 

Erika

1976 BMW 2002 series

(edited)

Thre should be some pre-drilled holes in the bumper for a front tag; if not, go to a local auto parts store (I know OReillys has 'em 'cause I bought one there) and get a "universal" license plate bracket.  It's plastic and has a bunch of holes on the back so you can match 'em up to your existing ones--or just drill new holes.  The bumper is soft aluminum and easy to drill.

Using a bracket will allow you to center the plate top to bottom on the bumper, which is a lot more attractive than having it all above or below the bumper's top.  

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

Thank you Mike! 

It does have holes in the Rubber Bumper already...But standard license plate frame I bought had holes in it that didn't line up to the ones on the  bumper.  The bumper holes were placed too far out.  I thought maybe there would be a mounting kit , but can't seem to find one :(

Erika

There is a BMW part #, for the front metal plate holder on big-bumper cars.  Maybe check REALOEM for a part #, and then see if Blunt can get it?

(edited)

I have a brand new OEM mount. Bought it a year ago but never used it. Riding dirty down here in Texas. I can do you a deal since its just sitting in my garage.

Edited by Stevenc22

Is the distance between the two existing holes in your front bumper greater than 12"  (length of a standard US license plate)?  If not, the universal bracket should work.  Otherwise get Steven22's bracket.  You would think that since those bumpers were used only on US spec cars that the bumper would be drilled for US license plates...

mike

I don't know if they're still available from BMW, but I regularly see the square taillight factory front plates on eBay. All U.S. cars were supplied with them even though many states don't require front plates. Thus, many of these plates, including mine -- which I'm not willing to part with -- have sat unused for 40 years. The last one I saw was a Buy-It-Now for twenty odd bucks. They're out there.

Steve

It's funny , once you start paying attention a lot of the 2002's don't have the front plate attached. The main reason I want to is..I just got my 2002 painted  & got the rust off after all these years & it looks beautiful. I bought a license plate with our Texas state flower on it ~ Bluebonnets ~ & it looks so pretty I want to show it off on my front Bumper!   I found this mounting plate last night & thought it may work because it has so many holes in it to possibly line up? I believe the holes in my bumper were about 1" out from the license plate frame I bought.  I talked to a guy on the phone with this company & he showed me another one & said I could always put new holes in my bumper & I was like no way!! Lol     Thank you so much for all of your comments! I really appreciate it! I'm going to keep looking around & call Bavarian Auto too & see what they say. I was trying to attach the picture of what I found but don't see where I can attach a photo. It was $10.00. I would be willing to pay more for a better quality one. Thank so much again everyone :)  
Erika
1976  ~ 2002 series