Sign in to follow this  
jgerock

Trailing Arm Brake Clip Differences

9 posts / 831 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

Not that anyone really cares about details like this....

I pulled my crusty 69 2002 trailing arm out to compare how the hard brake line was routed from the wheel cylinder to the inner arm and noticed the retainer clip at the spring perch was different than the 74tii trailing arm clip.

69 left trailing arm

B28A3F90-1B1A-47CF-90E1-782A7CACFF7E_zps

74tii left trailing arm

33550297-C5D9-483A-9561-06A2F62E1887_zps

Another one of those "now why did BMW change that" questions.  Bonus for the class: WHEN did this change take place.  

Found a picture of the 71 rear suspension - same style as the 74tii trailing arm clip.

IMG_8303.jpg

Edited by jgerock

My semi-educated guess says it was done on boxed tii arms and not relative to model year.  Just looked at a dozen or so pairs on a pallet.

My semi-educated guess says it was done on boxed tii arms and not relative to model year.  Just looked at a dozen or so pairs on a pallet.

Another pic added of a 71 trailing arm. Of course THAT arm could have been replaced by a PO with a newer one.

My 69 (original trailing arms) has the same bent over retainers as your 69 does--and I think my '73 does too, but it isn't nearby to check (still in hibernation)

mike

(edited)

For my restoration I ground all those tabs off and substituted various brake line clips from the E21 series (mostly using screws or nuts/bolts). Don't have a pic of the rear trailing arm but included one from the firewall to give you an idea.  The line is a lot easier to remove if it becomes necessary--and you don't need to use the little rubber insulator to keep the line from chaffing 

post-36158-0-41010800-1396463191_thumb.j

Edited by nbcbird

jg--I'm in the process of stripping the body and hopefully having it painted later this summer.  Did the engine compartment with Glasurit 22 Line (code 036).  Riviera was it's original color.