burndog

General Thought On Aerodynamics

10 posts / 1244 viewsLast Reply

There is a lot of discussion about the exhaust fumes being pulled back to car from the aerodynamic shape of the 02.  I hate the idea of roof / rear window or trunk mounted wings or lips to help eliminate this effect.  Would a more subtle solution like the Vortex generator help or possible solve our exhaust fume challenge?

BURNDOG

vortex%20generator1.jpg?timestamp=130875

Vortex generators were firstly developed for the aircraft sector, this technology has made it's way into Motorsport and car design. The main function of this device is to delay air flow separation. 

Air flow separation is when the airflow of a object detaches from the surface and creates eddies and vortexes. This basically means that the car will result in more drag and will reduce top speed and potentially downforce due to the turbulent air entering other aerodynamic device ( rear wing for example) and the wake of air left behind the car.

So by positioning vortex generator over the rear of the roof, you effectively help to reduce drag and increase downforce via the rear wing. This will have the effect of reducing the overall drag created by the car travelling through the air at speed and the faster and faster you drive the more effect this device will have. Especially effective in speeds in excess of 60 mph (100 KMP) speed ranges.

Never thought I'd see an "aero" thread on this board dedicated to bricks!

AH the effort to Bludgeon a cleaner hole in the air.  If you don't want exhaust fumes inside the car get the trunk seal to work correctly, you are not going to stop the air and exhaust gas from tumbling behind the car unless you rebody it to look like something other than a brick.

I like the idea.  I the same thing on my 335i.  I also thought it was an antenna...shucks if this thing makes my 02' run anywhere near the way my 335 runs, it's worth a shot////\

ira

Wouldn't a small lip spoiler (as used on the E30 is models) cause an upward airflow at the trailing edge of the trunk lid vs the downward movement without the spoiler?   All you aeronautical engineers out there, feel free to chime in...

mike

Wouldn't a small lip spoiler (as used on the E30 is models) cause an upward airflow at the trailing edge of the trunk lid vs the downward movement without the spoiler?   All you aeronautical engineers out there, feel free to chime in...

mike

It would probably cause more of an issue since there would be in theory more vacuum behind the car wanting to bring fumes into the trunk with a spoiler attatched

Climb in the trunk, have a trusted soul close the lid.  Look for light leaks.  Open lid, bend lip of trunk up at light leaks, for a better seal. Repeat until light leaks are gone..

Tape over drain holes in the spare tire well, and put plugs in the air tube holes that go into the cabin from the trunk.