DaHose

Tire Shape Question/recommendation ?

13 posts / 1036 viewsLast Reply

Hey all.  I am looking to get my 73 back on the road and need tires.  The wheels I bought back in the day look like baby M parallels, but I got them with some really squared sidewall Pirelli's in 195/60-14.   When the Pirelli's wore out, I bought some old Road Huggers (house brand) and the shape has a more rounded shoulder with slight roundness of the sidewall.  That tire rubs against the strut tower and the tire shop solution was to add a spacer.  That makes the tire rub.  Now that I am looking at new tires, I want to get rid of the spacers. 

Does anyone have a recommendation for a square shouldered tire with a really flat sidewall?

Thanks.

Jose

Go on TireRack's web site and look up all of the 195/60/14 tires and look for specifications for each one.  Look for the tire with the narrowest "section width" not all 195/60/14 tires are the same size (as you have already found out) you just need to spend some time and find one that will work. 

Without knowing what your wheel offset is it will be hard for anyone to make recommendations. There is also the chance that the fenders might not be in the original factory location, it is a 40 year old car and there is a chance it may have been modified by force and repaired (maybe not quite to factory specifications).

The online search is a good idea, if there is a local tire store that has some sample tires (mounted) that you could look at it would be helpful.  Generally speaking I have found that higher end and performance type tires will have the more square off shape, and the lower end stuff may have a sidewall that sticks out and a narrower tread, I certainly wouldn't buy based on that generalization, but it might help narrow your search.

(edited)

I've tried three fucking times to link a pic and it won't work.

My wheels are TSW's that I bought more than 12 years ago.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/dahose01/2002%20Pics/02wheels_zps28b2db47.jpg

They are 6X14 and et35.  It was a really close fit when I bought them, but they work with the right tires.  Section width is the hint I needed.

I will do some digging around now and see what I come up with.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Jose

Edited by DaHose

(edited)

Wait a minute .... round?  DAMMIT! :angry:

02wheels_zps28b2db47.jpg

Ok, it was the laptop I was using.  When the wheels are on the car, they look like baby cousins to M parallels.  I really like the look, so I want to find tires that will let them fit the same as when I bought them.

My initial digging seems to indicate that 7.9" measured section width is the magic number for tires in a 195/60-14 and I find various brands that fit that bill.  If I step down to a 185/60-14, then the section width looks like it is 7.5.  I know most people would go to a 15" wheel, but I really want to stick with the 14's I have.  Running 195's will already be a concern with a planned 250HP and 200 ft/lb torque, going to 185's makes me wonder if the power will get to the ground at all or just create smoke.

Jose

Jose

Edited by DaHose

Alright.  I am following up on my own post as I have done a lot of reading tonight.

Looks like I'm actually stuck with few options.  All season tires in 195/60-14 get terrible reviews and would probably be a bad idea with lots of torque.  Fitting good 14" rubber (given a hopped up engine) seems to be a choice of either the Dunlop DIrezza II's in a 185/60-14 or Falken Azenis RT615k's in a 195/60-14.  Both have tons of grip and give equally abysmal mileage, but I drive less than 10k miles a year anymore.  I MIGHT get two years out of a set of tires.  BLAH!  At any rate, the Dunlops are $120 or so but they do not come in a 195 profile.  The Falkens do come in a 195 and they are $86.  I am leaning toward the Falkens, unless someone has a very convincing argument.

As for wheel fitment, with a 35mm offset I will HAVE to run the spacers.  On the up side, I read that Ireland runs race cars with spacers and apparently our hubs tolerate non-hub centric spacers just fine. 

So it looks like my plan is made, unless they stop making decent 14" tires.  At that point, I will have no choice but to switch to bigger wheels.

Jose

Your tires are supposed to be round. 

Beat me to it.

Gotta say, having been in this hobby for 20+ years, there are a LOT worse things you could do to your car than run spacers.

Especially thin ones.  With a reasonable sized wheel.

Jus' sayin'

t

It's the anal car dude in me that says "you should not use spacers, but have the right wheel ...PERIOD!".

I can tell you that on my M6, it gets nasty wobbles if you run spacers that are not hub-centric.  It's good to know that an 02 is not as sensitive about that kind of thing.

Jose

Alright. I am following up on my own post as I have done a lot of reading tonight.

Looks like I'm actually stuck with few options. All season tires in 195/60-14 get terrible reviews and would probably be a bad idea with lots of torque. Fitting good 14" rubber (given a hopped up engine) seems to be a choice of either the Dunlop DIrezza II's in a 185/60-14 or Falken Azenis RT615k's in a 195/60-14. Both have tons of grip and give equally abysmal mileage, but I drive less than 10k miles a year anymore. I MIGHT get two years out of a set of tires. BLAH! At any rate, the Dunlops are $120 or so but they do not come in a 195 profile. The Falkens do come in a 195 and they are $86. I am leaning toward the Falkens, unless someone has a very convincing argument.

As for wheel fitment, with a 35mm offset I will HAVE to run the spacers. On the up side, I read that Ireland runs race cars with spacers and apparently our hubs tolerate non-hub centric spacers just fine.

So it looks like my plan is made, unless they stop making decent 14" tires. At that point, I will have no choice but to switch to bigger wheels.

Jose

There is no such thing as a tire with tons of grip that also lasts lots of miles. Pick one or the other.

I heard that, Marshall.

It's like the old saying, "The options for getting the job done are fast, good and cheap, but you can only pick two."

Jose