EricB

S14 At Cota Hpde

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Just wanted to thank everyone involved with the Texas Trifecta HPDE event, especially my instructor Tim.  It was a fantastic couple of days on the track and everyone was really nice.  Here is some video of the track from my 2002 with an s14.

Eric

uggghhhh... I sooooo wanted to attend this. As it turns out, my 4 speed died a couple weeks ago and the car is gutted on the shop floor awaiting all sorts of parts. Next year, next year!!!

Great video, though...looks like a helluva time.

(edited)

2: 20 or so..jeez thats a long rt hander..fun.

track looks pristine..amazing...wow...jealous. Cannot imagine it at F! speeds

thank you...

"on the gas"..."cmon baby".........leaving out any critique whatsoever about his style,  u gotta love your instr enthusiasm..cool stuff.......I actually do that when Im instructing....lol......

s14 sounds good.....but flog that mutha more!!!!...what is your shift point?

Edited by jrkoupe

nice!

does sound like you are short shifting.  what diff ratio are you running?

the instructor voice over is a reason why i use an intercom when instructing...no yelling, just talk in the students ear without their video picking it up.

more in car video everyone!   :)

This was great! Enjoy your car like this more often and post the video. Just let it wind out just a little more and try to nip those curbs a little.

great video!  I love how your tires are so talkative - you can get a good idea of when you are reaching their limit when you can hear them clearly.

Thanks everyone.  My redline is about 7600 so I was trying to shift around 7K.  My instructor was super fun.  Tim was helpful technically and his enthusiasm was contagious.  Rear end is a 3.73:1 ratio.

Good driving, cool video, graphics, etc. What I hear is that large drop in RPM's between second and third gear; I remember that ... it's the whole reason for the close ratio 4 speed (a lot of work / investment for one improved gear, but worth it - I think). -KB

(edited)

Thanks everyone.  My redline is about 7600 so I was trying to shift around 7K.  My instructor was super fun.  Tim was helpful technically and his enthusiasm was contagious.  Rear end is a 3.73:1 ratio.

run it up to 7500...don't stop a 7k. is the engine stock?  what transmission?

Good driving, cool video, graphics, etc. What I hear is that large drop in RPM's between second and third gear; I remember that ... it's the whole reason for the close ratio 4 speed (a lot of work / investment for one improved gear, but worth it - I think). -KB

closer ratio gearbox is right solution....the 2-3 gap is huge on a stock 4 or 5 spd.

or bump the rear diff to a 4.10 or 4.44 with an e21 5spd.  that dumps second-third shifts out of the equation as second is never used.  3-4-5 are much closer together.

Edited by mlytle

That was fun to watch! I'm jealous of all the paved run off room there. 

Was that the Track Cam app you used? If so, and that was an iPhone, would you mind sharing what mount you use? Thanks. 

(edited)

Ah. I thought that was just a nickname. Thank you.

Still interested in the mount though. I have one, but it isn't suited for track use.

Edited by Chamonix72

Here is a link to the mount that I used.  It seemed to work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mount-iPhone-Composite-Suction/dp/B009SUGC5K/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394487451&sr=8-6&keywords=ram+mount+and+iphone+5

The engine is a 2.5 liter s14 built by Kermit Upton and I have a Getrag 265 out of an M3 for the transmission.  I should be a little more aggressive about running up the revs.  The quick ratio box would be super cool, but the car is basically a road car.  It has a really nice interior and a stereo.  If I end up doing more track days I will consider switching.  Are getrag 265 quick ratio transmissions super expensive, if they exist?  Saw mlytle catching the Carrera S video and it made me laugh.  I wish I had those skills and a little bit tighter track.  My friend in a Cayman R was uncatchable at COTA.  I remember your build thread and that is a great car.