12 posts in this topic Last Reply

The slogan, "We build cars we're jealous of." has come to mind as this race car gets close to completion.  Most everything new or rebuilt, some mods/reinforcement added to withstand the rigors of racing yet void of 'just-because-we-could' engineering (we did install a set of Andrew's new brake lines, perfect flares and kinda-sexy, too). Next-up is dash, wiring, fire system and some trim, then full-suspension set-up and corner-weighting on the scales. -KB

post-35761-0-42532500-1395611574_thumb.j

post-35761-0-72619500-1395611589_thumb.j

cool set up w/ 1 rear axle... :ph34r:

Makes it easier to roll in and out of the shop (it's a welded diff and space is tight). -KB

(edited)

Very, very nice!

what class is it being built for?

all that work and development and it will just have a welded diff? i would expect better....

the first lap in that thing will be painful because it is so clean, but the big grin from driving it will soon erase the worry about getting it dirty or rock chipped!

PS - needs better rear sway bar links....:-)

Edited by mlytle

Very, very nice!

what class is it being built for?

all that work and development and it will just have a welded diff? i would expect better....

the first lap in that thing will be painful because it is so clean, but the big grin from driving it will soon erase the worry about getting it dirty or rock chipped!

PS - needs better rear sway bar links....:-)

It's a VARA vintage class, B Sedan Light a/k/a BSL. Lighter prep than a vintage BS, some of the rules founded in ITC (SCCA might rightfully question that). 2.0 liter, downdraft carb, 2,000 lbs coming off track (w/o driver) 205/60 13" tires, no slicks.

Re: Welded Diff: We've got an array of diffs, typically changed for each track we race. LSD and welded. This customer formerly raced a front wheel drive VW, going with a welded diff at first believing it'll feel most like what he's used to. Within the class, there are guys running LSD vs welded, nose to nose. Seems each have advantages. I run LSD's of various lockup with pretty-good results, though there are times I believe a welded diff would be helpful.

First event is Willow Springs Raceway ... where the rocks off the surface are big.  -KB

Looks great, Ken.  Can't wait to see this thing run.

As for diffs, it's not like he doesn't have a dozen of them in varying ratios/ramp angles sitting on the shelf if needs be.

somehow i think you are spot on andrew^^^ :o

As for diffs, it's not like he doesn't have a dozen of them in varying ratios/ramp angles sitting on the shelf if needs be.

:D

yeah, that is why i was wondering about the low budget locker.  around here front runners don't run welded spools.  only the guys who can't afford a well made LSD do.  welding works to a point. i ran one for my first two years of racing in an E30.  the shift to a good LSD made a huge improvement in car placement ability and lower lap times.  and you could roll it around without removing a half shaft.. :)

dang that car sure is pretty!

i wish the top of mine looked like that :blink: