wergert

Newbie Needs Help...

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I'm new to basically everything mechanical, but I came across a 2002 with an M42 swap last fall. I put it in storage after driving it for a few months and I went to start it the other day and it started up perfect, moved it back and forth in the unit it's stored it, everything worked. I go to start it yesterday and like the idiot I am I left it in reverse when I was starting it. The rear wheels slid the tarp out from under them and it didn't start because I forgot to switch on the fuel pump ground. I switched the fuel pump on and started it but then the transmission was stuck in reverse. I popped it out with some force and it worked almost perfectly through every gear. I go today to start it up and the clutch pedal goes straight to the floor. What did I mess up this time?

If it´s been sitting you might not have messed up at all. If it´s been sitting the seals in the clutch cylinders tend to get stuck and harden, so when you start working the clutch the seals crack up. Or at least doesn´t seal anymore. Any fluid under the car? The reservoir is filled up?

Also, if you get a leak in the break system might notice it first using the clutch. The hose on the reservoir for the clutch is higher than the brakes, so first clutch goes away - then brakes. German safety thinking. That´s how I noticed my master brake cylinder was shot.

There is a very small puddle of greenish fluid up by the radiator so I'm assuming that's coolant. Otherwise it's dry. So if its the seals then would the master cylinder have to be replaced or rebuilt? How can I tell if its the clutch master cylinder or brake master cylinder? Would regular use get the pedal pressurized?

(edited)

My clutch slave cylinder, the one working the clutch fork, gave up a few years ago. Just as you described, I fired the car up and moved it around a bit, and the next day the pedal went to the floor. I have a faint memory that mine showed fluid. If you get under the car and remove the dust cap around the cylinder rod, and then have someone work the clutch - and see fluid coming out, then it´s shot. I can't think of any better way to diagnose, at least. I do believe a shot slave cylinder is more common than shot main/master cylinder. 

But if there´s plenty of fluid in the reservoir, it´s not the brakes. If the brakes leak to the point that the level of fluid in the reservoir is below the clutch hose, then it will affect the brakes.

Edited by GreenSwede

I'll have to jack the car up and check for a leak after work. My only concern is with the M42 swap the transmission is from the donor car so wouldn't the slave cylinder be for that transmission? Are they universal or would I have to track down that specific year cylinder? Maybe the master cylinder and slave cylinder for the different years don't match up well? Idk I'm just spouting ideas. Thank you for your help. I'll let you know if I see any leaks

If it's the clutch master cylinder that turned up its toes, the fluid will leak into the pedal bucket, and from experience I know it'll hold a pint of fluid before overflowing and wetting the carpet.  Poke a pencil or similar stick down through the carpet until you hit the bottom of the pedal bucket. If it comes up wet with brake fluid, your clutch M/C has died.  

But even that may not be a foolproof guide.  A master cylinder (clutch or brake) can pass fluid by the cups and give you a limp pedal without an external leak.  To check that you almost need to remove the M/C and examine it.  Alternatively you can try bleeding the system and see if that brings up the pedal; if it doesn't then you have something dead in the clutch hydraulic system.

cheers, and happy hunting.

PS--if you're looking for an aluminum flywheel for that M42 motor, I have a nearly new one for sale...

No not yet. It dropped back down into the negatives temperature wise so il waiting until later this week when it's supposed to be warmer

So I went out to look for a problem and it was weird. Underneath the pedals was moist but wasn't wet. No puddles or wetness under the car. Was still able to start the car when the pedal was to the floor but couldn't shift when the car was running. When the car was off I could shift through all the gears with a little resistance. What does this sound like?

I ordered a new clutch master cylinder to see if that fixes the problem

Hydraulics :)

You are on the right track, tho it may be the slave cylinder.

Good luck,

(edited)

Sounds like out of fluid, a bad clutch master, and/or a bad clutch slave. But the dampness of the pedal box is a worn out clutch master. My 02 had the same foam pad wetness problem and it was leaking a fair amount of brake fluid!

Edited by roadhog0

Any tips on replacing the clutch master cylinder? I'm assuming you remove the cylinder with the two bolts and disconnect it from the pedal, then disconnect the lines on top, but when I put the new one in should I fill it with some fluid first or wait then fill the whole system at once. Where are the bleeding points?

Was still able to start the car when the pedal was to the floor but couldn't shift when the car was running.

(no flames intended)

Probably not good to try to get it into gear while it's running with the clutch pedal in.  If my thoughts are right, even though the clutch pedal is to the floor, the clutch is still engaged.

If, somehow, you do get it into gear, you'd have no way to dis-engage the clutch.....  You'd have to have pretty good reaction time to make sure you don't run over/through something in your storage unit.  (kill the ignition, or find out how good the brakes are and see if they would kill then engine)

And don't try starting it while it's in gear, for the same reasons.

Allan

So I replaced the clutch master cylinder and bled the system with new fluid through the slave cylinder and now everything is working. Thanks for all of your help/input!!