worzella

Ignition Basics 101

3 posts / 614 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

I was looking back on some old info I captured a few years back and re-read this execellent description of how the 2002's ignition system works. Very basic info, but I think it is very informational for anyone new to working on cars. Also, it really brings home how important a proper "tune up" is and setting the dwell (amount of time the points remain closed, measured in degrees of distirbutor rotation), timing, etc. to get optimal operation.

This info also really made it clear to me about many of the posts and discussion about the "correct" coil (red, black, blue) to use and whether you need an external resistor or have the resistor wire. When reading the text below, it says the initial sequence has the points closed and there is a steady flow of current  from the battery, through the resistor ( or resistance wire), through the primary coil circuit and across the now closed points. I now understand that if you SHOULD have an external resistor but don't, then the current across the points will be much higher.. and lead to burned out points. If you have a setup with resistance wire and no external resistor, then adding another external resistor will lead to lower current and therefore less "punch" in the

high voltage induced in the secondary circuit that creates the spark.. weaker in this case because of too much resistance.

post-36132-0-59118800-1395538797_thumb.j

post-36132-0-44225300-1395538815_thumb.j

Edited by worzella

That info is a good refresher, thanks for posting.

I should point out that dwell is the amount of time that the breaker points are CLOSED, measured in degrees of distributor rotation.