Parksis_52

Brakes...again.

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I picked up a 1969 2002 last fall and it's in need of some brake work. The issue is, the car is an early model '69 and contains the single hydraulic circuit twin piston callipers on the front discs, and 230mm drum brakes on the rear. It also has the single circuit brakes with vacuum servo. This is opposed to the more common servo assisted dual circuit braking system with 4 piston callipers.

I would like to keep the car as close to original as possible, and was curious if anyone knows the most easy way to upgrade this system? Parts for the master cylinder, servo and callipers have pretty much gone obsolete for this system. The 230mm drums seem mostly available and standard. Would an upgrade to the dual circuit be an easy bolt on solution? I've read the postings/articles on the E21 upgrade, as well as researched Welwood and Ireland upgrades, but want to consider the most original and reasonable solution prior to diving into the work. I'm open to suggestions...

Thanks in advance.  

Parks

IE used to offer a single line bbk specifically for the early cars, they were a little labor intensive to put together to the point it didn't make financial sence.  That would be the most "original" solution I'm aware of.  Other than that if you've got a dual-line parts car then start swapping over parts.

(edited)

should be pretty easy to replace whole system with system from later car. 

the rear is really simple. just bolt on the entire later brake assembly to the trailing arm and hook up the existing brake line.  (you can use 2002 or bigger 320i parts here)

front should be fairly easy.  swap in a booster with MC, run the lines, and bolt on the calipers. (use stock 2002 or volvo/320 parts)

Edited by mlytle

The E21 upgrade on my 1600 stops very well. I did the fronts only (keep in mind this is a 1600). From Chris Macha:

Here are some pics.  I used e21 master cylinder ($80), e21 single cylinder calipers ($40) for 78-82 with solid rotor, 2002 rotors ($35), brake MC grommets 22mm/12mm 34311121911 if keeping early reservoir, PBR Deluxe pads D299RM.

His pricing is slightly outdated tho.

Cheers,

What model/year of E21 uses the master cylinder with four outlets?

I believe model years 78-82 320i.

Thanks, I appreciate the above info. I'll see which parts I can source most easily and get it finished.

The E21 upgrade 

That's what I was thinking, too, but Ray beat me to it.

It was good enough for a couple of seasons of racing.  That wacky half- moon cutout

on the pistons caused problems, though- I think you want it so that the cutaway part goes

towards the SWEPT (already hot) side of the pad.  Or, facing up on a 2002.

t