burndog

Are These Worth It At 180.00

38 posts / 2049 viewsLast Reply

(edited)

my man...

u want us to comment on a pic???......give us more info........ :(

I looked at your pic a bit more....

and Id say ..YES..sweet deal for 6 shocks.

Edited by jrkoupe

I installed KYB GR2 shocks on my VW Beetle.  They were reasonably priced, fit and were OK for the < 2K miles I drove the car.  Not sure about their strut inserts though.

I had kyb's gr2s on my 76 since 2001. Car is in resto mode now but from 2001-2010 it has driven well. Id say get em...

(edited)

if they are worth it depends on what you want them for..

keeping suspension from falling on ground when car is jacked up?  yes.

never driven garage queen? yes.

put-putting around town?  yes.

commuter/winter beater?  yes.

have no money to invest in car?  yes.

need to throw something in the car to sell it?  yes.

long life (mileage) needed? no.

any sporting application? no.

:)

Edited by mlytle

$180 for all four corners?

I think it's $180 for all 6 corners

(edited)

if they are worth it depends on what you want them for..

keeping suspension from falling on ground when car is jacked up?  yes.

never driven garage queen? yes.

put-putting around town?  yes.

commuter/winter beater?  yes.

have no money to invest in car?  yes.

need to throw something in the car to sell it?  yes.

long life (mileage) needed? no.

any sporting application? no.

not every car is a race car and needs coilovers or the best suspension. These shocks will last him well worth his 200$ and his ride will be comfortable. A lot of guys dont want coilovers on a daily driven car, not everyone wants to feel every little pebble on the road while driving.

I personally prefer coilovers, but nothing wrong with some shocks and springs and you can still do some spirited driving, maybe not corner hugging track racing, but hopefully you arent doing that on the street anyway. 

Edited by roundiezzz

As some of you know I own Pinepig's car.  The reason I bought the car was its pure DIY hand built beauty of ingenuity.  That said he built a set of home made struts for the front and I am looking to replace with a purpose built performance suspension and suspension is almost the furthest subject of knowledge or expertise I have.  So, I appreciate all of your answers that have effectively changed my decision, but could any of you make suggestions for the front corners?

I was always leaning towards Mike's rear suspension configuration anyway, the price of this turn key kit was just too good to not consider.

Thank you,

BURNDOG

(edited)

not every car is a race car and needs coilovers or the best suspension. These shocks will last him well worth his 200$ and his ride will be comfortable. A lot of guys dont want coilovers on a daily driven car, not everyone wants to feel every little pebble on the road while driving.

I personally prefer coilovers, but nothing wrong with some shocks and springs and you can still do some spirited driving, maybe not corner hugging track racing, but hopefully you arent doing that on the street anyway. 

It's not whether its a race car or not.  Just the quality of the ride.  For example those KYB rears are valved even STIFFER than what we use on a race car. this isn't comfortable on the street.  The feed back is very vague compared to the bilsteins hd's.

Sure, they'll work in a pinch while getting you from point "a" to point "b".

Edited by AceAndrew

(edited)

The first suspension I installed on my 2002 after I purchased was the KYB set up. I bought it about 4 years ago for $160 (damned inflation!). They did the job and were reasonably decent for the task. However, as soon as I was able, I upgraded. 

So, if money is tight, these will certainly do the job. If you have the budget, buy Bilstein or Koni. 

Edited by Chamonix72