A.D.D.

Dumb Question Door Panel

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay.... lazy question. I have the shop manual on CD/DVD... but have not looked for it. 

Exactly HOW do the window cranks and vent window knobs come off of a 1976 2002? 

My interior is a mess (nice shape, just rattles, wrong fasteners and shrunken material). Also, my locks are stiff, windows go up and down slowly and I have a few door dings I am going to attempt to remove using YOUTUBE PDR techniques.......... BUT... to do this, I must remove the door panels.

How do you do?

Thanks in advance. 

Vent window knob has a hole on the back side. Use an allen wrench to feel for the hole, once found press the center out. It may take some force. That should be a phillips head.

Window crank, squeeze the plastic center near the base. This should release the tabs that hold the plastic to the handle and expose the screw. Should be a slotted tapered head screw.

Anything else to know before I remove the panel? One time use plastic clips holding it on? Hidden screws? 

Armrest looks pretty straight forward. Inside door handle has a slotted screw... figured I would use an angled stubby screw driver....

Thanks!

Several plastic retainers around the perimeter of the panel ( sides and bottom). The top is held on by compression clips that grab the upper metal part of the door. Use a plastic spatula or a bondo spreader if you have one to pop the plastic retainers. Then you should be able to push up and release the metal retainers. You might have an urge to pry on the top section. But dont... Talking from experience.. but if you decide too. Just slightly with a soft round tool. Once everthing the panel is off it's a good time to regrease and apply anti rust paint, por 15 or red oxide primer on the inside botto. Part of the door and moulding clips. Also renew the plastic cover if needed. Hope this helps

Here's another tip: the upper armrest connection is hidden behind a chrome sleeve. That sleeve slides UP and pops off. Underneath is a philips screw.

To add to what 76dailydriver says: once your have freed the panel from the door with the exception of the pressure fit on top, grab the leading edge and the trailing edge of the panel and wiggle it UPWARD to free it from the window sill. To re-install the panel I tap the panel DOWN with a mallet onto a block of wood to spread the force. Move the mallet and the block to evenly tap the panel into position. A trick I learned was to support the door underneath with 2x4s so that the tapping down of the panel is more firm, and you're not putting pressure on the door hinges.

Thank you! I appreciate it!

Will post pics.......when done.

to release the upper compression clips, I used a long thin strip of wood with a tapered but blunt end.   I slide the strip up inside the panel until it reaches the top, then I use a rubber mallet to drive the strip upward to release the clips.  I work one end to the other slowly raising the panel.  very easy to do, and it only takes a minute or two.

Jeff

A hint for you:

If you're going to be opening and closing the door with the door card off, split a 2 inch chunk of fuel line and put it over the piece of metal inside the door at the back.  (I think it's what the stop runs into).

the top of the door card steadies the window during closing and can't hit that piece.  With the card off, it can hit it and the window may break.  I've got the merit badge for that one. :(