MildSeven

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Horn (Not Working) - Solved

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

(edited)

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share this info in case someone needs it... I searched around but only found incomplete answers to my questions. Something simple, but it was bothering me.

brief intro:

Bought an 02 with a Moto-Lita steering wheel, horn didn't work. Took it apart, noticed the contact from back of horn button to steering column "ring-contact" was not present.

post-46694-0-70612800-1395341037.jpg

To make the constant contact with the steering column ring, I was originally going to use a bolt through a spring, surronded by a rubber sleeve (to insulate it from the hub). Did some searching, didn't know what the contact would be called. Turns out it was called a "horn brush."

post-46694-0-75537600-1395341046_thumb.j

I tracked one down at blunttech.com. They had stock ones in-stock ~$15 (not listed on the site). From my searches I read that this works with Nardi wheels (but not confirmed).

...but before placing the order i contacted Moto-Lita by phone (had originally emailed them), turns out they have a solution, and will be sending me a pencil contact. £5.00

post-46694-0-87663500-1395341170_thumb.j

hope this helps some.

Anthony

Edited by MildSeven

Google didn't turn up a US source for these.  I need one as the old one in my momo hub is broken so the spring no longer keeps the pencil in contact.

(edited)

Google didn't turn up a US source for these.  I need one as the old one in my momo hub is broken so the spring no longer keeps the pencil in contact.

i didn't find a US source either... apparently the Moto-lita pencil contact also works for Momo

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=1299

EDIT: ok did some more searching...bam: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOMO-Hub-Adapter-Horn-Connector-Plunger-Style-/121256460407?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3b72c077&vxp=mtr - momo horn plunger, in us. $15

Edited by MildSeven

(edited)

Your search wasn't very conclusive--BMW has several horn contact pins available.  Try 32.33.1.109.750 for a start.

Edited by nbcbird