• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying This Engine

mrbgag

First, a little history.

I am helping an estate rid itself of items, one of these items is a 2002 car set up for track racing, if thats the proper term. For instance, it was raced one or twice at Watkins Glen in New York.

Anyway, the owner bought this engine with the plan on rebuilding it and putting it in the 2002. i have no experience with these cars / engines. I DO KNOW he was VERY excited when he found this, and to him it was a "rare find".

Its come time to get rid of it, and i am hoping these pictures will we one of you experts to ID the type of motor it is.

Any help would be appriciated. Following this, there MAY be a car as well, but so far it seems to be tied up with a family member.

Andy

post-46919-0-05981600-1395323303_thumb.j

post-46919-0-21078100-1395323314_thumb.j

post-46919-0-50696600-1395323322_thumb.j

post-46919-0-15119200-1395323333_thumb.j

post-46919-0-09963900-1395323346_thumb.j

post-46919-0-57670600-1395323761_thumb.j

post-46919-0-74338500-1395323773_thumb.j

For starters, it's a 2002 tii motor, which is to say it's a fuel injected motor.  It's missing intake runners, plastic injector fuel lines, throttle linkage parts, and throttle body, among other things.  The owner's excitement may have been due to the motor's internal parts (would require more investigation, and possibly disassembly of the motor), the motor's history, or perhaps the simple fact that the owner always wanted to tinker with fuel injection after having spent years tinkering with carburetors.  Who knows?

If you can post the VIN from the motor (it will be carved into a flat spot on the block near the starter motor and clutch), we might be able to provide more details.  Also, any documentation regarding the motor would be helpful.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

Do you have the VIN # from the engine block?  That would help in identifying the motor.  It looks like it may be a Tii motor without the full fuel injection system.  I am not sure though as I am more familiar with non-tii motors.  Where is this and the car located?  Any pictures of the car or any other parts?

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

For starters, it's a 2002 tii motor, which is to say it's a fuel injected motor.  It's missing intake runners, plastic injector fuel lines, throttle linkage parts, and throttle body, among other things.  The owner's excitement may have been due to the motor's internal parts (would require more investigation, and possibly disassembly of the motor), the motor's history, or perhaps the simple fact that the owner always wanted to tinker with fuel injection after having spent years tinkering with carburetors.  Who knows?

This might have been the case, knowing the way he was.

Both motor and car are in NJ. Looking to get rid of the motor. In the present state, is there any value to it? I know it was bought with a complete rebuild in mind.

How long ago was it purchased/sidelined?  Was it considered a low mileage motor?  If slated for rebuild, it was probably tired.  As it sits, with injection pump and exhaust manifold, you're looking at 500$ for quick sell, 800$ max.

Clearly old coolant hasn't recently been present to corrode the aluminum head but, given the rust build-up on the clutch and flywheel, I would have some concerns about whether the motor will turn freely, or is frozen.  It looks to me as if it was stored outdoors or in a very damp place sometime after it was removed from a car, maybe for years.  If it's frozen, even $500 might be too much.  (Disclosure: I am neither a potential buyer nor seller of a tii engine.  But Ray wants me to buy that '74 Fjord tii for $7,000 just 'cause I think it's a screamin' good deal!)

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've got the # off the engine. Its 2761921, so i think its a '72 or a '73 tii

I dont know the history other than it appeared in the warehouse with the car about 4 years ago, where it has sat on the pallet.

Edited by mrbgag

Injection pump - $200

Tii Exhaust manifold - $200

Tii Long Block in unknown condition - $200

That's where I got my numbers.

Jason,

I'm not disagreeing with you but I've seen absolutely complete, recently-run tii engines linger a long time at $1,000.  People who buy a rusty motor of unknown condition for parts want a substantial discount -- or is that just me?  I simply want mrbgag to understand that he's not likely to have a wild bidding war for this motor.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Think its worth posting in the parts for sale area? Gotta be picked up in NJ though.

Yes.  There are potential buyers in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Steve

I've got the # off the engine. Its 2761921, so i think its a '72 or a '73 tii

I dont know the history other than it appeared in the warehouse with the car about 4 years ago, where it has sat on the pallet.

It was definitely manufactured in the '72 calendar year and was probably for a '72 model year car.  But it's useable in a much wider range of tii's, and non-tii's!

Steve