13 posts / 1162 viewsLast Reply

Hello everyone Im looking to makes some coil overs out of my struts. My buddy works in a machine shop and will be helping me. So here are my questions:

How much do you have to cut down the struts?

Does anyone have pics of them doing this?

How much harder are the rear ones?

Anyone have some pointer?

Anyone have the specs of everything that will need done?

I'd call Ireland Engineering. They have a DIY kit with the instructions, I believe.

Yes I did some research and found out how do it. Now have to figure out the rear. The rear kit cost like 600 :(

In the back, use shorter springs and the adjustable top perch from a circle track car.. (yep) Search 'circle track' in forums.. I bet it pops up.

Right now I have Ireland springs and Koni adjustable struts in the rear. Link to a circle track car pearch?

(edited)

search on "pitstop usa". that is one source for the adjustable spring perches.  or just search in my build thread.  pics and details there.

ground control makes a 2002 specific adjustable perch.  i also wrote up a separate thread on installation of those, with pics of the pitstop version.

edit - andrew beat me to it.  hit the link he posted.  it is all there.

Edited by mlytle

(edited)

search on "pitstop usa". that is one source for the adjustable spring perches. or just search in my build thread. pics and details there.

ground control makes a 2002 specific adjustable perch. i also wrote up a separate thread on installation of those, with pics of the pitstop version.

edit - andrew beat me to it. hit the link he posted. it is all there.

That helped alot I was thinking of buying these for the front http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-suspension-steering/02frtcoil.html

And I'll cut down the strut. Then I will also get a set for the rear and cut down my current Ireland engineering spring a little so I can have a lower hight with a little more travel.

Edited by blake654

That helped alot I was thinking of buying these for the front http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-suspension-steering/02frtcoil.html

And I'll cut down the strut. Then I will also get a set for the rear and cut down my current Ireland engineering spring a little so I can have a lower hight with a little more travel.

The front kit will come with diagrams, but Mike's writeup here will help to supplement them.  http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/135119-otto-bot-racecar/

1 How much do you have to cut down the struts?

2 Does anyone have pics of them doing this?

3 How much harder are the rear ones?

4 Anyone have some pointer?

5 Anyone have the specs of everything that will need done?

1- buy your inserts first and measure.  Ymmv.

2- not me.  But there are pix here somewhere.

3- easier.  Much.  Search Pitstop or Speedway for 'adjustable spring spacer'.  Hardly any cutting required.

3- if you meant spring rate, go 50 lbs/inch softer in the rear for a pretty good starting place.

4- no, we had a sheperd, but he died a while back.

5- 2.5 degrees negative front camber, as much caster as you can get, 300 lbs/inch front, 0 to -1/32" toe, 

- 3 degrees negative rear camber, 275 lbs/ inch rear, -2/32 toe

- 6" rocker height, not including seam.  You can go lower, but you run into camber loss issues in front.

- you can run the front of the rocker lower, or the rear higher, if you want some rake.

- 3 band- aids for various cuts.

t

1- buy your inserts first and measure. Ymmv.

2- not me. But there are pix here somewhere.

3- easier. Much. Search Pitstop or Speedway for 'adjustable spring spacer'. Hardly any cutting required.

3- if you meant spring rate, go 50 lbs/inch softer in the rear for a pretty good starting place.

4- no, we had a sheperd, but he died a while back.

5- 2.5 degrees negative front camber, as much caster as you can get, 300 lbs/inch front, 0 to -1/32" toe,

- 3 degrees negative rear camber, 275 lbs/ inch rear, -2/32 toe

- 6" rocker height, not including seam. You can go lower, but you run into camber loss issues in front.

- you can run the front of the rocker lower, or the rear higher, if you want some rake.

- 3 band- aids for various cuts.

t

Thanks you have all been tons of help as soon as I have extra cash I'll get to work.