• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Does My 2002 Take So Long To Start In The Morning?

A.D.D., thanks for taking the time to write up such a detailed explanation. It was very helpful. I took another picture this morning when it was cold (my previous picture was in the afternoon about 30 minutes after driving). The butterflies look wide open.

post-46384-13953406110167_thumb.jpg

I've also noticed that my car consistently jerks at lower RPMs in second gear, but I thought that was a transmission problem. Could it be a carb problem? Also when I turn the car off, sometimes it stops pretty rough. "Chugga chugga psssss". Is that a carb issue too?

I'm definitely interested in upgrading the carb eventually, but I'd like to understand as much as I can before making the switch. Good to know its not a stock carb, so I know what info to be looking for.

--Andrew

You are looking at the choke butterflies and yes, they are wide open. Before you start the car, depress the gas pedal all the way to the floor and release. I do this twice because the accelerator pump gives a squirt of fuel each time it's done. This will close the choke butterflies and they will slowly open as the car warms up.

Look at the carb after you do this to see if they close. Also, I hope you have the air cleaner off just for the pictures.

Starting a car with a carburetor is different than a fuel injected one. You always want to set the choke before starting when the engine is cold. That could explain your problem when starting in the morning. As far as the jerking at lower RPM's in second gear, you may be shifting out of first too soon. 

The Weber 32/36 has been a popular upgrade for many 2002's. While it may be an economy carburetor, it is also a good carburetor for a properly tuned car. Before swapping it for a different one, I would get the car running right with this one. You need to find an air cleaner for the car. It will protect the engine from any nasties being sucked down the carb such as bugs, pollen, leaves, dirt and grit from the road or worse. Your engine will thank you.

andrewhavens:

My pleasure! Sometimes it's good to go back to basics to understand a problem. 

As far as the carburator... it will likely need a rebuild if it hasn't had an air filter on it. 

I am going  to scare you a little now...... SAND and abrasive things WILL end up going down the carb and INTO your engine with no filter. SAND vs. shiny metal oily parts= DISASTER! 

The Chug Chug Chug when you shut the car off is "Detonation". It's called "Dieseling". Like a diesel engine. It is usually caused by:

Ignition timing out of specs. Get a timing light (buy or borrow if you don't have one)...and look up "how to set ignition timing" online. 

Bad spark plugs (remember when I told you to pull the plugs and inspect them?)

Bad gas. (You can run some gas dryer...or drop the gas tank, flush and seal it)

Valve problems. (a compression test will help determine this)

And of course, you could have carb problems causing 90% of ALL of this! 

While it's NOT the right way to do it..... a quick fix on the choke problem...is to disconnect the auto choke and wire the choke butterfly at around 1/2 open/closed... the car will start better until you can fix it properly. NOT recommended... but it will work. You DO need to buy a rebuild kit for the carburator ASAP... or buy a new or good used carb. 

THIS WEEKEND.....You need to: 

Get an air cleaner. If I had one...I would give it to you!

Do a tune-up (a poor mans tune up...is to pull plugs and clean with sandpaper (320-600 grit), clean points CAREFULLY with sandpaper at contacts, clean distributor cap contacts under top of cap, and clean contacts on rotor (at top center when you remove the distributor cap). Auto parts sell little guages to GAP the plugs (VERY IMPORTANT).

Then spray carburator cleaner into the carb while the car is running. Rev the engine to keep it running and spray a bit around the outside of the carb/ manifold. If the car stalls when you do that...you have an air leak. 

Last thing.... dump a bottle of gas drier into the gas tank (better to drain the tank if you can) and fill the car with high test gas (high octane premium). All of that (including filling with gas) should cost about $50 bucks! 

BUY A CHEAP AIR FILTER.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. 

The Chug Chug Chug when you shut the car off is "Detonation". It's called "Dieseling". Like a diesel engine. It is usually caused by:

to prevent this from happening(although not fix the problem)

put the car in 1st before you turn it off,

put your foot on the brake,

come off the clutch slowly and watch the RPM's drop,

right before your engine dies turn your key to shut it off and then let out the clutch when the ignition is off,

this stop "Detonation" (keep your foot pressed down on the brake the whole time  :P ) 

I've also noticed that my car consistently jerks at lower RPMs in second gear, but I thought that was a transmission problem. Could it be a carb problem? Also when I turn the car off, sometimes it stops pretty rough. "Chugga chugga psssss". Is that a carb issue too?

I shift from 2nd to 1st gear when I get to the stop sign and that kills the car.

I had both of these problems with my car, and to a worse extent. My car would die when slowing down coming off the freeway, coming up to stop signs, you name it. Also I had the worst chugging/jerking in every gear between 2000 to 3000 rpms, and it had nothing to do with my driving (as someone above suggested).

I rebuilt my carb with this kit http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/92.3237.05%20major.htm

and although it isn't exact, I followed this guidehttp://www.mk3supra.org/topic/561-guide-rebuilding-a-weber-3236-dgav-carb/ (he also talks about tuning your carb and setting the idle which is easy and vital!)

Pay careful attention to everything! And make sure you get the float 100% spot on.

After the rebuild the car drives insanely better, no jerking at any rpms, no fluctuation in the idle, everything runs smooth and sounds great.

Oh and do everything A.D.D . said.  Seeing as you've only had the car a few weeks his advice will help your car run better in everyway.

Goodluck bud!

Edited by Lippincott

--Noah

'74 2002 frankenstein