• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 185/70/13 Tire.

Harv

I was on the 912 message board and someone showed the wheels and tires on their project. Barum tires. I never heard of them so a google search got me a result of the Barum web site where I see they have lots of 13 inch sizes. Also in my search was a result for Discount tire and the result for the 185/70/13 search.

I cut and pasted this search result below from discount tire. It looks like they have lots of 13 inch tire sizes. Weather you can get them in the US is another thing. The line I like is "we may be able to order them for you".

John

No Barum Results

Area Selected Cleveland Metro Select New Area

Tire Size 185/70-13 Select New Size

At this time, we do not have any Barum Tires in stock in the 185/70-13 size in the Cleveland Metro Area.

However, we may be able to order them in for you. Please call or visit your local store for availability and price.

Return to the Barum Tire Page

See All 185/70-13 Size Tires

Edited by Harv

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I´ve seen it around in Sweden. A budget-tire, I´d say. Maybe not that bad, but not top notch either.

But, I just googled in swedish and, in tests performed by swedish auto press, they end up at the bottom. And they also seem to wear fast. I´d keep looking.

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

For someone looking for a hi-po tire that they can track with and looks right Avon makes their CR6ZZ, road legal (DOT) race tire.

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/road-legal/cr6zz

They aren't cheap/inexpensive by any means, but not crazy expensive like the Michelin XDX (+$400ea).  Roger Kraus has them for $239- each.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Don't think Tire Rack has Sumitomos in that size any more...when I go on their web site all that comes up is Kuhmo Soltus in a 185/70x13.

How long ago did you get the Sumis?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Don't think Tire Rack has Sumitomos in that size any more...when I go on their web site all that comes up is Kuhmo Soltus in a 185/70x13.

How long ago did you get the Sumis?

mike

Sometime last year Mike. Geez - first the Yokohama AVID T4, now the Sumi's.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I wish the Sumitomo HTR T4 tires were still available in 185/70 13.  I'm running them on my '74tii and really like them.  I went to order another set recently and couldn't get them.  Jim, it looks like you've got a set of Ronal Kleeblatt (cloverleaf)  wheels?  I'm running my HTR T4's on Ronal Kleeblatt wheels.  I love those wheels (except the shank style lug nuts).  What size are your Ronal wheels Jim?  Mine are 13x6 ET 28 which fit the 2002 perfectly.  They even fit when using 205/60 13 tires without rubbing.  Thanks,

John

1973 tii Inka - Oranjeboom

1974 tii Fjord/Primer - The Thrasher (my daily driver since 1986)

I was shopping for tires last year and bought a set of BF Goodrich Redline Tires (180/70R13), for the seemingly astronomical price of $204 each. Later I discovered that the Michelin XDX (180/70VR13) were also availble, at the truly astronomical price of $460 each. You can still get both from Coker:

http://www.cokertire.com/searchbyattributes/?&size_section_width=375&size_sidewall_aspect_ratio=387&tire_rim_diameter=113&sidewall_style=0&tire_type=96

There were also some 13"  Vrederstein tires in the 205/60 size that were available at the time..

Actually, I just discovered that Coker has the Michelin XDX in a 205/70VR13 for $235.47. What a steal!! :)

http://www.cokertire.com/205-70vr13-michelin-xdx.html

Jim

Edited by B-Merry

Barum company originates from Czech Republic (or maybe better Czechoslovakia as it still was in that times). AFAIK they do still have a production plant in Otrokovice near Zlin but they belong to german Continental since somewhen in the mid-90s.

In western Europe the name Barum is mostly known for the Rally Barum http://www.barum.rally.cz/2013/page.php?cont=264&sec=7&lng=en . I like the Czechs: To my taste they have even better beer than in Germany and they do always know what to place next to a nice car to make it look even better: http://www.barum.rally.cz/2013/photo.php?cont=32&sec=5&lng=en .

Rally Barum traditionally was (and maybe still is) a heat of the European Rally Champoinship - always some 2002s at the start of the historical part of the event: http://www.barum.rally.cz/2013/photo.php?cont=37&sec=5&lng=en .

To my knowledge general problem of 13` tires today is the small number of cars still running them. Companies do no longer invest in transferring the more actual tread patterns and rubber mixtures because of the small number of sales expected.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

I got a sét of Sumitomo HTR T4's from the Tire Rack for my 69.  Hope I like them when I eventually drive the car.

IMG_0896_zps28382ad0.jpg

Jim,

I think that you will like the Ronal Kleeblatts. What do you plan on using for center caps?

That will make a nice setup on your '69.

Edited by SamAdams

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

On 3/23/2014 at 1:03 AM, SamAdams said:

Jim,

If you don't mind me asking would you care sharing what brand of wheels that you have pictured?

As was mentioned peripherally earlier in the thread, those are Ronal "Kleeblatts," a classic '02 aftermarket rim of the '02 era. Technically, they are Ronal R2s. The common nickname, Kleeblatt, is simply German for "cloverleaf." If you look at one, there is a cloverleaf of sorts defined by the central hub area, including the four lug holes. Examples I have seen date to the early-to-mid '70s, but I am uncertain as to the actual start and finish dates for the R2 model.

Steve

post-41123-0-99878700-1395551663_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)