• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Bmw 2002 Tii

2double02

1974 BMW 2002tii

I purchased this car from its North Carolina owner of 36 years. He had some great stories including one about driving it in a roundabout backwards a number of times under the influence of the late 70s. It is an ambitious project that I have decided is more than I want to tackle. Because it is a tii, I also hate to part out the car so I have applied for a NC title and intend to keep only the front seats and wheels for a future project. Neither are original to the tii and I will install a set of standard 5x13” steel wheels with tires that hold air. I do not have a spare set of front seats to include.

The previous owner was adamant that the car has its original engine and transmission with 114K miles. I have nothing to substantiate the claim other than the reading on the working odometer but I also spoke to his mechanic of 20+ years who said the same. Oil changes were claimed every 3000 miles.

The engine runs well and makes good power but I have not road tested it to any great degree. On the drive home it began to sputter a bit and lose power so AAA completed the delivery. I contacted the owner and he advised me that the fuel filter in the trunk clogged some time ago and produced the same symptoms. I replaced it and it has run fine on short drives around home. The car is not registered or insured so driving is limited. First start of the day takes several turns but afterwards it fires up pretty easily and idles smoothly. I have a video of the car running for anyone interested. It does not smoke. The shifter is sloppy but the transmission goes into all gears without resistance. Brakes are good and suspension is newer Bilstein on all four corners.

It has been kept outside for a while and not weathered well. Schwarz seems to be the original color but the hood has been replaced at some point with one that was previously green. The paint is poor with small dents, dings and peeling all over. It retains its original non snorkel nose which seems to be a rarity on tii’s. Rear shock towers and spare tire well are very nice but it needs a driver’s rail patch, driver’s floor, both rear floors and maybe more. Rockers have some small holes but aren’t terrible that I can see. At some point the car was sprayed with a rubberized coating below the knee molding which may have preserved some of the metal. Inner door bottom seams show typical corrosion along with trunk lid lip. The carpet is presentable but most other interior pieces have seen better days.

Despite its challenges, this tii remains great fun to drive and produces more power than my other 2002 with a low mileage factory replacement engine, tii exhaust, tii distributor and Weber 38. If you would like to rescue it or see value in the unique tii parts, please contact me with an offer. I am not sure what is worth but am pretty sure I paid too much.

My email address is 2double02 at gmail dot com and I am located in Burlington, NC.

Here is a link to photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/106261542407174934680/1974BMW2002tii#

Year: 1974

Make: BMW

Model: 2002 tii

1960 Austin Healey Sprite | 1974 Ford Bronco | 1988 Porsche 911 | 1994 Toyota Land Cruiser | 2022 Ford Bronco Badlands on Order | In Search of a BMW 2002