Sign in to follow this  
HENRYNBMW

Euro Ignition Switch

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a European Spec. Ignition switch that does not have the 3 wires for the interlock system.  Has anyone used one of these?  I am worried that the car will not start.

thanks

post-37745-0-47517400-1395151058.jpg

If you're referring to the infamous seatbelt interlock, that was used only on the '74 models (IIRC) so if you connect your wiring on the back side of the switch according to the factory wiring diagram, it should work OK.  Check archives for which wire goes to which terminal on your ign switch.  

US spec cars from 71/2 on also have a stray wire poking out of the ignition switch that powers the "key in ignition" buzzer.  Don't know about you, but those things drive me nuts, so not having it would be no loss.  

mike

My '73 has the seatbelt warning light but no evidence of an interlock...and the '73 owners manual doesn't provide instructions/warning about the interlock.  I had always though they were on '73s too, but I think that was '74 (perhaps only '74--they weren't too popular and most folks bypassed 'em a week or so after buying the car...

Chime in here, folks, let's get some collective wisdom.  

mike

(edited)

I think all those fancy interlocks were designed for USA cars.  The USA owner's manual supplement brochure has details of the interlocks (I cannot post the diagram from work - it was scanned originally by C.D.).

My May 73tii has a ton of them:

Seatbelt warning pod on dash (disconnected)

Neutral safety switch wires and switch mount on shift tower (removed)

Front seat belt retractor interlock wiring (removed)

Front seat bottom interlock "pad" (removed)

I have been under the dash many times but did not specifically look at the ignition switch wiring.

I purchased a new ignition switch column assembly from BLUNT for my 69 - there are a couple wires on it - I assume they are interlock wires.

0dcf74fd.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

0462031d.jpg

a31d41d5.jpg

620d38bf.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Thanks for your replies.  I went to locksmith and he switched lock barrels, etc.

thanks

Henry