• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nashville area 2002 owners? and future purchase questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi there. Don't mind me, and be patient, as I'm, well, relatively new to the 2002 thing. About a year, year and two months now or so I've been aware of the "'02 Magic" related to the lightweight, smells-like-lubricants-dried-valve-seals-oil-and-leather-and-grease-and-metal, "tossable", little bundle of charismatic joy known as...well you know. That's why you're here. Personality, driver theory, soul, history, Purity ...'Driving' if you will, that's what I'm after. All of which I find in the 2002. By the way, I'm 19, so I am most likely considered bright young overzealous and in wonder with worldly things, or so thought of by most of you.

However.

the 2002 community in my experience is probably the most friendly community I've ever come across. There's the classic 240Z community, but you have those that think that the 1985 300ZX is the purest and most desirable Z ever...and those that think that dropping a Chevy 350 in an old 240 is a grand idea. I also very, very dearly adore the classic Minis. But in that community, you have those that believe Honda 1.6L V-TEC engines, transmissions, and steering columns are a damn fine idea for big numbers in a Cooper. Which may be so, but it ruins just about all the classic Mini has as far as a soul goes, damn its 0-60 time. There's a point that you realize when 0-60 times don't matter...and also when you realize that the person behind you in a race is the one with the biggest advantage.

Whatever. I've gotten off on a rant, pardon me. My point is, you people are damned friendly to outward ideas, and you have a very nice sense of open minded-ness and appropriateness and true joy of driving. Now.

I've been tossing around the idea, as potentially financially unsafe as though it may be, to get a 2002 project car to keep for autocrossing or like events. Thing is, the 02tii is about my favorite car right now, and I would love to own one, even in place of my currect squeeze, a 2000 VW New Beetle. Yeah, it's my first car. And it's practical and decently fun to drive and a good daily driver, but I can see myself in a 2002 more now that I'm out on my own. Thing is, as I'm sure you're thinking, A) I'm out on my own, so I would have to pay for everything, so realism's possibly out the window and B) an 02 is an older car. Thus, would be far more susceptible to breaking down.

So I want to keep my car, simply because I don't want to potentially spend most of my time under it. I'm aware that the 02 is by no means, say, an MGB or something but still; it's from the 70s(at least the one I would get) and I don't want to throw away, in a sense, the privlege and advantage of having a newer car. So. Even theoretically, getting a second car not as a daily driver, but as a trailer car for use with my Beetle(true name: The Mach 4), I have a few questions.

Things to look for when purchasing one. Where should I look for rust? I know to look at the engine bay, shock towers, and trunk, but where else? Also, what parts typically fail or should I look to replace if I buy one used...any electronic problems habitual with it? I know of some problem with the valve seals...elaboration at all? Oh yeah, and I know to use Mobil One and it'll love me forever. There's this real great guy I met that I think came here named Brian MacDonald...I think that was his name. Anyhow, I used to live in the Houston Texas area, I just moved to Tennessee. He told me about the Mobil One deal, I just wanted to give him my props for that. Since doing some research, I've realized the importance of it.

Any help, any advice at all would be appreciated. I'm not sure when I'll be able to check this again, so if you could, just email me.

Also, Like I said, I just moved to the Nashville, TN area, and am looking for good car contacts in the area so I can at least talk to people around here about it. You know. If you're in the mood for conversation or just so someone can listen to you talk, I'm glad to learn.

Alright. I think that's about all I got to say about that.

Thank anyone, for anything.

Will

known in some circles as Blood Artisan or Majestic 12

Guest Anonymous

Maybe give Mike Kotwick a run for his title...

Welcome, and look for rust in the floors. Stay away from anything with round tail lights, they are primitive and overpriced.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I share your sickness... I have a 86 300zx turbo running around 12lbs of boost.. fun little machine... I don't know why you choose the 85 as more desireable? I would think the 84 AE would be.. but needless.. I also have 3 02's... all arn't stock.. the 02's are definitly fun as I romp on mine on a daily basis.. I burned half a tank of gas to college today playing with the loud pedal.. As for autox... I finished second in the state of florida in my car.. the tii is a nice choice... more expensive but definitly not fast.. (puts on flame suit) the tii system does produce a smooth fuel curve for stock components.. but when you're like me and turning 9000 rpm... the tii system is old skool crap.. Running mobil 1 in a stockish old tired 02 will let you know that guess what... all the seals are worn cause no one fixes motor stuff.. run mobil 1 in a relativly fresh motor.. I actually run valvoline racing 20w50.. run castrol gtx 20w-50 in a old 02.. as for an autox car... depends on whether you want to run in stock class or street prepared or race.. there are plenty of mods to do... I know 02 engines and suspensions like the back of my hand so if you got a question just ask.. it will take a long time to sort an 02... but worth it when done.. one that is fully sorted though will run like new and corner like mad.. btw.. I used to go by the handle 02Majik on bmw boards and MajikMan in IRC land... don't know if you do IRC.. blood artisan or majestic 12 sounds more like Asherons call or UO handles.. party on

Kris

Guest Anonymous

20039114940071719505009.jpg

Sometimes I have to read your posts two or three times to get the full effect. Always worth the time, whether or not I have any interest in the subject de jour. Keep 'em coming!